Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Apologies for dropping out on this thread- great perspectives all around. I've got the two of them onboard- former employer showed their true colors in the process- offered the main guy a $20/hr raise then rescinded it and offered $9/hr instead after a week and a half. I'm paying above market rate certainly but now have no real worries about productivity or quality of work. Feels so weird to be turning into a truck-ass; between having idiot helpers or doing everything myself it's really hard to put down the tools and focus on the business/sales side.

For now the theoretical partner is on payroll as the foreman/site supervisor. Kills me to see some of the crap he can pull off- 4k lb rootball removed intact in 2 hours with a 2k lb micro-excavator, hammer, handsaw, and 4' piece of 2x4..... WTF? I'm raising my general labor rate significantly and bidding/quoting labor as if it was 'regular' skilled labor doing it. Got about 200k booked and probably another 150k basically sold that just needs details, etc...... Nice part is the 200k will basically serve as an awesome showcase. Only downside I guess is that the GF is pissed because I'm working 12-14 hrs/day. I'm sure I'll cut it back but currently my mentality is F it- get that $$$$$.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts