Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Holy Crap!
512 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but is there any online retailers for quartzlok. There are no distributors in my area that I know about, and I would like to start using urethane.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Brett-

Search BOSTIKS TruColor. Same company, same grout.

·
Bathroom Remodeler
622 Posts
DemRem said:
I think I remember hearing something about when urethane first came out they didn't realize that it had a shelf-life or maybe the bucket froze before use...does this sound like a possibility?
Ya I had a few buckets freeze over the winter and tried to use a couple months ago. The consistency or should I say the volume of the mix just wasn't there. It was like wet sand. So if he used that....I'd say it's a good possibility the bucket froze at some point.

I also Had a customer use the shower before thy should have and had the joints run out. I just scraped as much loose stuff as possibly and regrouted. That was a year ago and never got another call back

·
Holy Crap!
512 Posts
Thanks Rovacon, I checked but was still unable to find an online retailer. Its a shame this stuff is so hard to find
Brett-

Any major tile supply house should have it in your area. There are other guys online here that are near you that use it.

I tried the dealer distributor function on the website but something was foul.

If you go back through the thread and PM Techdawg, he can probably help you. I think is is somewhat near your location.

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
Clean as in it's already been installed and got dirty?
Nothing is easier than urethane. Epoxy might be the same but not easier. Industry trsting has pointed to urethane being more stain resistant so, of course, it will be "easier" to clean.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
It sure sounds like that urethane was either really old or froze. Hard to believe one bucket of grout out of a huge batch would fail. If the whole batch was bad...well, I think we would have heard more!

As for epoxy vs urethane...(this is for Angus)

Epoxy rules...urethane drools!!

Haha!!, just pulling your chain bro! As long as homeowners are given a choice of either, I don't care which gets used. I think both are the "best" way to grout.

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,607 Posts
bluebird5 said:
John, what kind of grout you using now? Do you think epoxy is easier to clean than urethane?
By the looks of it, Jdub is now promoting Mapei Ultra Colour. Its like PermaColor... even though I use quite a bit of it, I always start with urethane or epoxy and something like PC usually comes to play only when cost or other circumstances is an issue. I'm sure Mapei UC is some nice stuff but a twisted promotion as "top notch" due to cleaning habits.

I've never had any call backs with urethane or epoxy. I had one with PC, staining a little by the toilet but I think their kid was whizzing down the side of the toilet :laughing:

·
Vendor
77 Posts
John-

I think a good point from your statement is that it CAN be cleaned while other traditional cement based grouts are more susceptible to permanent staining.

Most (99%) of home owners would rather clean the grout with regular house hold cleaners rather then constantly seal and repair it.
I gotta agree with Brian on this one...ask my wife! She'd agree too

·
Holy Crap!
512 Posts
Use ONLY THE BEST !!!

spectralock pro or in commercial application, Spectralock IG2000..

Like I do, all the time
booooooooooooo! :laughing: :laughing: Damn that floor looks nice though Orlando.

You know when I do finally use Epoxy, I will give the Spectralock a shot. I have heard many good things about it. I do enjoy using MAPEI products though.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts