Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if you guys ever work up a sample board with say 4 tiles and the grout to verify the grout color and desired decor, as well as a second color plug in a cup bottom?

The grout charts / Laticrete samples I've found are right on - except for on rare occasion.

I guess my main concern is I've made sample boards and plugs with sanded grout that the full color is not known for near 3 days at times - that's how long it seems to take to dry completely.

How do you guys work up grout to test the finished color - if you do ? Possibly I need to make a thin chip sample that would dry quicker.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have done this for clients who analyze every decision..... I usually just try and have them make a decision with the help of the tile salesperson.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
My advise when clients are stuck on grout color is

"You know it is like choosing tan leather or grey leather in that new red Corvette"
"It is a New Corvette and the leather feels real good"
"and there is NO WRONG CHOICE WITH ANY OF THESE COLORS!!!"

·
Registered
996 Posts
Went down this road one time and I advised on grout color they didnt like it. Now I specifically leave grout out of my contract. They can pick the color when they pick the tile. It can be easy to get drawn into design choices which A) You dont get paid for B)When its wrong, its your fault and you have to pay to fix it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
mrcharles said:
Grey leather on a red vette is the wrong choice
Yeah man what the hell are you thinking!
I hate grey leather but have it in my truck , Tan is too (gotta borrow a word from chuck ) friggin light and dirties easily, where the hell is darker brown, far too rare! If I had 65 grand I'd get this truck

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Car seat cover Car seat

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
Get a used egg carton and after every job, put some of the grout in the indents for samples. Pretty soon, you'll have all of the colors on hand as a "library" of actual samples rather than a chart. Some people are overwhelmed by too many choices, and need their choices narrowed down, so pulling out 3-4 colors for them to consider works well to do that without actually picking the color out for them. It narrows their focus enough to be able to pick one.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Grout bags vary slightly in color, they say mix bags together if using multiple bags, yeah like I do that ! Also color will vary depending on drying time , not significant but nevertheless , amount of water put in and amount used to clean out varies color as well, I usually say it cures slightly lighter than the sample. This is standard grout, epoxies, and other types of Portland are truer to chart.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Most clients I wouldn't trust to pick grout colors, most can't acknowledge sight tone differences, I chose the grout color, 96 outta 100 go with it ...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm the one choosing, or help choosing the grout.

Picked up a Mapei sample kit today - the one with grout sticks. Should help.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The samples will help.
I tend to stick with one brand ( TEC )
I HATE power Grout.
Remember that the same name (Delorian Grey, natural grey, light buff. . . ) from different brands will be different colors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts