Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
Again I will say that advances don't always advance. I'll take my old timers anyday, they can do more with a few handtools than most techs can with a trailer full of tools today. Now I'm going to talk you through this slowly so pay attention. First thing that happens is the water fills up the surface porosity of the grout then someone gets in and starts bathing, the soap sits on topof the water and is rinsed off altogether when finished. If allowed to stay then the water evaporates and the soap film is effectively sucked into the grout. Same thing when working over concrete, just wet it down before you start making a mess and the clean up is a breeze. All these new products are sold to lazy a$$ homeowners that don't want to maintain things by Manufacturers who just want to sell product. They don't care as long as it lasts longer than thier warrenty. And all your advances in cement still haven't proven any longer of a lifespan than the 100 yr old stuff.
Sorry but soap isn't the only thing there. Dirt, organics, dyes....and on and on.

Epoxy and urethane grits were nit designed for lazy anyone. Again showing more of your ignorance. They were designed for commercial use. They needed something durable and non porous... and guess what? Cement based products didn't meet the standard.

Actually Portland based is chemically stronger than years ago. It's just a fact.

And you are so wrong about all they worry about is that it lasts longer than my warranty. My tile installations will be there long past any warranty. Most will outlast me.

Exactly how do you talk through something slowly when it's written text? You're a riot.

Also you may want to discover the "carriage return" key on your keyboard, also known as the [Enter] key. It makes reading your ramblings a bit easier.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
cath8r said:
I only used epoxy grout in select commercial applications. The haze it leaves would never fly in residential. This is with laticrete epoxy and following instructions exactly.
I've done many jobs with Laticrete epoxy and mainly do residential and do not have any issues with haze. Try using a cloth or better yet a micro fibre rag for your final wash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cool. Do they say that in the instructions? I've used the sponges and wash additive they include in the kit. Well, I use the sponge and about 2 extra new ones on top of the one provided. It bothers me that when I follow the directions to a 'T' the haze is an issue. Definitely gonna use the microfibre rag. Thanks again.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Cool. Do they say that in the instructions? I've used the sponges and wash additive they include in the kit. Well, I use the sponge and about 2 extra new ones on top of the one provided. It bothers me that when I follow the directions to a 'T' the haze is an issue. Definitely gonna use the microfibre rag. Thanks again.
The problem is you don't really have time to piss around with epoxy, espicially if it's warm. It doesn't clean up like cement, you have to wipe, rinse and repeat until you get all the "gummyness" off the tiles. You can't come back the next day and just buff the crumbs off.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Im aware of the tight timeframe. I just wish the directions were more clear and better.
Watch the YouTube videos, if anything laticrete gives exceptional instructions.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
cath8r said:
Im aware of the tight timeframe. I just wish the directions were more clear and better.
One more thing...with regards to time frame. In the summer months I will usually put the liquids in the fridge for about an hour before using. Slows down the curing process.

Ok, just one more.... Keep your sponge wetter than with cement grouts... Not dripping water, just don't squeeze out as much.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Polyblend you say? There is your answer right there. Very inconsistent grout even when you mix according to directions. That's the nature of Polyblend.

The only issues with Customs grout is with the grey shades, I've never seen a issue with other colors ...

·
Paul
4,120 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I was just wondering about wrapping a microfiber cloth around a sponge for cleaning grouted LVT .
I still can't see me buying QEP crap, I'll check for hydras sponge, what will they not connect to a sponge?
Thanks for posting the innovation.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts