Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
If my PO asks,I set tile
688 Posts

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
'Shouldn't have that much haze'... that little bit of haze has been an issue on some commercial jobs and wouldn't fly in residential.I don't know what part of following directions exactly would cause it. Never had these problems with traditional grout.
I've never had much haze and when I did I just cleaned it up.

Again enough haze to get noticed like that means you need to do a better job on installation. You are working to large of an area, not wiping it down well enough and not replacing your water enough.

Also get your tiles damp before grouting.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
Reggie,
I figured i would try and help you out a bit regarding your actual question about the grout not matching. Seems like everyone has dropped their pants and has tape measures out.:cheesygri:cheesygri

Polyblend you say? There is your answer right there. Very inconsistent grout even when you mix according to directions. That's the nature of Polyblend.

Everyone can get back to talking about haze,epoxy, urethane or whatever didn't pertain to the OP question.

Its like the wild wild west here sometimes...thats why i like it!:thumbsup:
I know it's a difficult concept but conversations evolve. The recommendation was to not use cementious grouts. That turned into a bit of a discussion on that topic. Some misinformation had to be addressed.

It's just like real life. I know crazy, right.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We prefer old fashioned grouts more than the epoxies in most residential applications. Our bathing alcoves are waterproofed then tiled, cement grouts are porous which allows the back side of the tile to breathe while an epoxy will seal that wall right in. You must assume water will infiltrate behind the tile at some point and you must allow for that water to go somewhere else. The most trouble we have ever had in this industry is when we started sealing things up too tight. In my opinion people have to get off thier behinds and do a little maintenance to thier homes now and then. We even teach them how to mix a small amount and finger in joints etc. and we always leave the leftovers for that future purpose.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
We prefer old fashioned grouts more than the epoxies in most residential applications. Our bathing alcoves are waterproofed then tiled, cement grouts are porous which allows the back side of the tile to breathe while an epoxy will seal that wall right in. You must assume water will infiltrate behind the tile at some point and you must allow for that water to go somewhere else. The most trouble we have ever had in this industry is when we started sealing things up too tight. In my opinion people have to get off thier behinds and do a little maintenance to thier homes now and then. We even teach them how to mix a small amount and finger in joints etc. and we always leave the leftovers for that future purpose.
But because they are porous they allow soap and dirt to discolor and stain. Not something routine maintenance and cleaning will cure.

I like not having to leave instructions on how to repair my work.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
I thank you, seems like the only right way is the most expensive one, Seal it so its not breathable and it looks great? I do not believe so. The same with airtight houses, thats crap too. and which I will aways preach is not the best method.
But, who am I ;)

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
I thank you, seems like the only right way is the most expensive one, Seal it so its not breathable and it looks great? I do not believe so. The same with airtight houses, thats crap too. and which I will aways preach is not the best method.
But, who am I ;)
Someone who doesn't know as much as he thinks. It's called building science.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Someone who doesn't know as much as he thinks. It's called building science.
ok, now your just someone who knows the words, but doesn't understand their meaning.
I give by law 10 years guarantee on any and all faults of the work.
so, I guess I have just a little more into it than you.
I gutted an apartment done in the '60's and ripping out the tiles(1500sq.ft)
was a PITA, but big time. The grouting had 50+yrs and busting it up the splinters would inbed in my skin,
I am not saying that epoxy's are crap, just that many think its a do all,
trust me it isn't.
Mapei does not recommend their resin grout where not needed. keralastic is great enough in 90% of the time,
but, who are they to know?

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
ok, now your just someone who knows the words, but doesn't understand their meaning.
I give by law 10 years guarantee on any and all faults of the work.
so, I guess I have just a little more into it than you.
I gutted an apartment done in the '60's and ripping out the tiles(1500sq.ft)
was a PITA, but big time. The grouting had 50+yrs and busting it up the splinters would inbed in my skin,
I am not saying that epoxy's are crap, just that many think its a do all,
trust me it isn't.
Mapei does not recommend their resin grout where not needed. keralastic is great enough in 90% of the time,
but, who are they to know?
We are not talking about what they recommend, but by your own words, what is BEST.

Clearly cementious grout is not best. And I will gaurantee that you are not using the same formula grout they did 50 years ago.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
We are not talking about what they recommend, but by your own words, what is BEST.

Clearly cementious grout is not best. And I will gaurantee that you are not using the same formula grout they did 50 years ago.
says you, why, and for what circumstance, FYI, extra fine sand and portland cement was used, and a few old timers still make their own grout,
You dont need a chemist to make mortar. or grout.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
says you, why, and for what circumstance, FYI, extra fine sand and portland cement was used, and a few old timers still make their own grout,
You dont need a chemist to make mortar. or grout.
But that's not what YOU use. You're too big of a Mapei whore to mix your own.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
The only tile material worse than cementitious grout is mastic. The very existence of this thread proves cementitious grouts have issues and are tiling's weakest link. You will never see a thread about QuartzLock color consistency problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Science hasn't always produced beneficial results. The world is ripe with "advances" that science has brought us and years later wisdom has a chance to catch up and says "hey, thats no good". There are tile installations that are hundreds of years old in the Tibet mountains. When epoxy has that kind of history you can argue with me again. If people would just rinse down the shower after EVERY SINGLE use, it only takes a minute, then simply clean the bathroom thoroughly on occasion then the tile would look great for many years. I encourage people to tend thier own property, if you can get them concerned and involved with thier own property then they will find work for you to do. As for me, I'm the Old Bull that walks down the hill if you know what I mean. Some of you young bucks need to lay off the caffeine.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I assure you that its not much different. New colorants etc but its still sand and cement. Those are exterior installations as well....

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
Science hasn't always produced beneficial results. The world is ripe with "advances" that science has brought us and years later wisdom has a chance to catch up and says "hey, thats no good". There are tile installations that are hundreds of years old in the Tibet mountains. When epoxy has that kind of history you can argue with me again. If people would just rinse down the shower after EVERY SINGLE use, it only takes a minute, then simply clean the bathroom thoroughly on occasion then the tile would look great for many years. I encourage people to tend thier own property, if you can get them concerned and involved with thier own property then they will find work for you to do. As for me, I'm the Old Bull that walks down the hill if you know what I mean. Some of you young bucks need to lay off the caffeine.....
You cannot just rinse away soap. Porous means that it soaks in not just sit on the top. It would need to sit on top to be able to just rinse of.

You old farts need to keep doing what your doing so I'll have plenty of work for years to come.

I guess you don't use drywall...You definitely don't see that in the mountains of Tibet.

·
If my PO asks,I set tile
688 Posts
Well this escalated quickly.

·
Hair Splitter
18,331 Posts
I assure you that its not much different. New colorants etc but its still sand and cement. Those are exterior installations as well....
You really should read up on the history of cement. There were many changes to the process and makeup from the Romans, medieval times and as recent as 150 years ago. Today's cement is nothing like that of ancient cement.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Again I will say that advances don't always advance. I'll take my old timers anyday, they can do more with a few handtools than most techs can with a trailer full of tools today. Now I'm going to talk you through this slowly so pay attention. First thing that happens is the water fills up the surface porosity of the grout then someone gets in and starts bathing, the soap sits on topof the water and is rinsed off altogether when finished. If allowed to stay then the water evaporates and the soap film is effectively sucked into the grout. Same thing when working over concrete, just wet it down before you start making a mess and the clean up is a breeze. All these new products are sold to lazy a$$ homeowners that don't want to maintain things by Manufacturers who just want to sell product. They don't care as long as it lasts longer than thier warrenty. And all your advances in cement still haven't proven any longer of a lifespan than the 100 yr old stuff.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts