Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning.... (Not really for me... I've got alot of grout to clean/freshen)

Wanted to ask everyone as to their recommendations as to best way to clean up dirty grout... and any pro's/cons or things to be carefull about.

I have both a kitchen floor and bathroom tile counters to clean.

The kitchen floor has a light tan grout and the bath an off white grout.

To date, they have just been scrubbed/cleaned with KaBoom degreaser, with minimal success.

I know some commercial operations (maybe Coit carpet cleaners) clean grout somehow... anyone know what they do or use.

I suspect the grout was originally sealed many years ago. It is a sanded grout.

Thanks for any help/advice/your experience.

Best

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Hot water, degreaser, brush, let it soak, do it over again, and again. If it's stained, then bleach, which compromises the grout some if it's a cement grout. We have a jet steam cleaner, but I don't think it does any better than a brush. My favorite brush for the job is a fingernail brush with a handle that you can grip. Horrible work. Krud Kutter's my current favorite cleaner.

I sure like epoxy and urethane grouts - they pretty much make grout cleaning a thing of the past.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Hot water, OxyClean, white scrubbie. If that doesn't clean it, it's not going to get clean.

Any acid will help clean but also start compromising the grout.

Considering a good cleaning (degreaser too with fresh water rinse) and then a grout colorant. This one is epoxy based so onced colored, you get a MUCH better seal on the original cementitious grout:
http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/products/aqua-mix/grout-colorant/aqua-mix-grout-colorant.aspx
Second...oxyclean does a pretty decent job but the white scrubby is key...you only use a green scrubby once.

And I have used that colorant a few times as well. Goes on pretty easy. I just brush on with an artists brush and wipe off any that gets on the tile with a damp clothe.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob, Angus,Rob,Chair..... Thank you for the ideas.

(Chair... Thanks for the info... little above my need/capacity for one residential redo.)

So, I just got back from playing with Oxyclean and Clorox.

...(Bob, actually I was using Krud-cutter before... don't know why I got mixed up and called it Ka-boom... it took up alot of dirt,,, but not that great on the grout)).

Oxy did better, but Corox really cleaned up the grout stains REALLY.!!!

I guess my first question to you guys would be... how bad do you think that bleach compromizes the grout. The grout has been down for many years and is fully competant right now.... Would I expect it to crack/crumble at this stage.

Depending on your guys advise, I may go ahead with Custom's colorant,... more so for grout integrity, rather than color aesthetics.

I'm reluctant to follow up with the colorant if I don't need to, for both the time/work, but more so, because the tile is a very rough/ textured (non-skid) porceline .... and I'm afraid of being able to clean the tile with an epoxy based colorant.

Thanks again

Peter

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Most of the grout cleaning is the high pressure tool. Of course you need product but the pressure is the biggest thing. To the best of my knowledge many of the original grout cleaning products, ie viper venom, were relabeled floor stripper. Don't think they changed their formulation too much since then unless it's a green product... Make sure you do a good job rinsing it as any product left behind will cause issues with resoiling down the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts