Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Where's my coffee?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is okay, just stung-up a little.

She was in the process of painting a maple sapling in our front yard. I'm in the driveway working on the camper when she asks where do I want the tree? I say "In that little tip right there would be perfect".

She gives the spade a good 'ol stomping when she notices the hole... but it's too late.

In the field, I would wait until dark and give the :censored: a gas bath and match funeral. This leaves a pretty burnt patch that I really don't want in my front yard.

Anyone have a suggestion that doesn't involve torching or am I going to have to deal with the grass repair? Just so ya'll know, I'm headed to the gas station!

Thanks in advance,
Dave

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
Malathion.

Or some off the shelf wasp & hornet killer,such as Raid makes. That way you don't troch your yard or eyebrows for that matter.

Stick with you wait until dark plan since they'll all be tucked in for the night. You can cover the hole with a piece of scrap ply or a bucket for add insurance-a sort of wasp gas chamber.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Maybe your place is easy, but in some county, I've seen police gave out tickets if they saw tree fire or neighbor complaining any tree/leaves burning! (they just scare Fire Dept)

Good luck killing wasps or yellow jackets. :thumbsup:

·
Where's my coffee?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. I might just pour gasoline on them and cover for a while. However, the bee spray and cover sounds good too and won't ruin the soil.

As for fire - in my neck of the woods, the police would be fighting me for the match!

Hmmm, might just let my wife carefully light'er up and I'll deal with the damage. She'll enjoy getting even! :thumbsup:

·
Dufus Extrodinaire
159 Posts
The best wasp/bee/hornet killer is crushed silica (the stuff in the little packet used to keep things dry)

My pest control friend buys the silica - crushes it up and then uses a shop vac with the hose hooked up to the exhaust port. Knocks them dead in seconds.

He does strongly advise that a mask be worn when doing it.

Seen it on tv too.

·
Banned
846 Posts
Good attempt, next time coat your wife in honey. Perhaps then the wasps can finish the job.

Reactions: TimelessQuality

·
Where's my coffee?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just had a neighbor stop by. His suggestion is to place a running push mower over the hole. "The little guys will be sucked out and the blade will chop'em to pieces". I asked for a demonstration. He declined! :whistling

Anyone notice my typo in OP? Too funny!

Dave

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
Just had a neighbor stop by. His suggestion is to place a running push mower over the hole. "The little guys will be sucked out and the blade will chop'em to pieces". I asked for a demonstration. He declined! :whistling

Dave
painting maple

·
Registered
443 Posts

Dave
yeah, I wondered why your wife was painting a tree. At first I thought maybe she had the canvas and easel out there practicing for an art class or something.

·
Where's my coffee?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, I wondered why your wife was painting a tree. At first I thought maybe she had the canvas and easel out there practicing for an art class or something.

She wanted the new tree planted somewhere... I told her to get busy.:w00t:

Dave

PS- It was quite a show this morning... until they caught her.:whistling

·
Steve
317 Posts
Pour used motor oil down the hole tonight and plug it up with a pine cone or something round-wedge shaped. Them bastardo's will never see light again!

·
Where's my coffee?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. And I thought gasoline was hard on the soil! If this was my back yard, or your front yard, maybe that would be an interesting experiment.

·
Where's my coffee?
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The deed is done. I flipped over a spade of sod (with the hole in the middle), poured in gas, poured in a little more, found a box of wooden matches, poured in a little bit more gas :whistling, then lit a match and sent the little devils to their maker. Waited for flame to stop, then flipped back the donut divit. Just for giggles, I plugged the hole. It is now raining so I'm not worried about flair-ups.

Thanks all,
Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts