Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ground hog, or a family of ground hogs living under my deck. I say family because I saw at least one baby.

I can't shoot them. City living. I know I can trap them, which I did before. That one died. But obviously, they come back.

Any suggestions on how to keep them from coming around? And getting the ones that are here, gone?

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Don't know nothing about groundhogs.

What attracts them?....cool/shaded environment or the cat food ....

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard or read about a few repellants: moth balls, coffee grounds, Fox urine and dog urine. But I don't know which if any really work

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Seriously?? There's such a thing? Where do I buy those?
They sell them at the hardware store here, I've murdered many. Best part is the carcass is already buried.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They sell them at the hardware store here, I've murdered many. Best part is the carcass is already buried.
Oh. I thought you meant smoke bomb. I don't want to kill them under my deck. The smell would be terrible and the flies would drive me insane.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
They dig holes and live in them. Find their home.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,474 Posts
I had one two years ago. It burrowed under my garage foundation. He/she/it caused absolutely no problems whatsoever other than a hole under some concrete. He/she/it had a full garden to take advantage of and never touched a thing until a hurricane brought down the tomato plants. Once they were on the ground, he/she/it had a field day. I was done with them anyway and watching he/she/it eat them was entertainment.

I did some research and apparently, they keep 4-5 burrows close by. Life span is only 3-4 years in suburbia...mostly car accidents.

I tried coyote urine. He/she/it liked it I think. I filled in the tunnel the first time with dirt. That was no deterrent...gravel, the second time seemed to be.

The groundhog never caused me any problem and I returned the favor.

Be kind with whatever you decide to do. Hell, we just spent a weekend trying to save a cat. A groundhog deserves some respect.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Robie, I don't plan on doing anything but making them go somewhere else. Like, if could put some scent down that makes it unpleasant and they just move back to the woods, that would be great.

I used a trap last time. But I think the heat killed him before I got home from work. If not the heat, panic, all I know is he was dead when I saw him.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My deck is ground lever. I think their hole is under my deck somewhere. Our, under my shed. I will post pics of their holes tomorrow

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Never tried this myself (no need....dog), but I have seen it done.

Re-install your fence.

Except this time, dig an 8" (?) deep trench at the bottom of the fence.

Go get a bunch of bottles (drink heavily leading up to this task).

Smash them up, fill the trench, leave the fence a couple inches down into the ground.

Or....
go get a Terrier.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts