Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wifey and I just settled on a new house (not new construction, but new location, more room, etc).

Anyways, just given the green light to finally set up my own shop in the garage. Looking at a nice cabinet/table saw, band saw, planer and jointer.

Did a search on here, and seems like it was discussed but no conclusions drawn.

Anyway, looked at some of Grizzly's tools and their online reviews seems alright....anyone have anything by them? Likes, dislikes?

Other manufacturer recommendations?

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping for a response like that.

Muncy is the one near me as well (about 2.5 hours) - but the wife is up for a road trip.

What all do you have loaded up in that truck, GMOD?

I think I may be looking at some of the similar models you have.

Especially the table saw, but was a bit leary about the router table insert.

What type of fence on the table saw?

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
The table saw, w router table and the shopfox fence. Benchtop planer, Big old free standing belt /disc sander combo-----Benchtop grinder, a couple of Dust collectors, The truck was packed, it was a great weekend..The Muncy Location is AMAZING, check out the scratch and dent section, GMOD

·
Pro
669 Posts
Hey Mark,

Congrats on the new house. I loooked at Grizzly when I bought the table saw for my shop. It got good reviews from Popular WW mag.

I wound up going with Steel City because I liked the way the shut off switch was set up. I got a 1.75 hp but regret not spending the $$ for the 3 hp.

I have a Jet (band saw), Steel City (TS), Rockwell (jointer), Delta (Lathe), and Dewalt (bench top planer) in my shop, all of which have treated me well. If you aren't budget concious look at the Saw Stop for your table saw. Powermatic also makes a very good product if you have the $$, I really like their crank down wheels for the table saw.

Have fun shopping for the new toys... I mean tools.

Good luck,

Bill

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Mark, What are you plannig to build or do in the shop?

i know i started working on a shop in my garage but have lost momentum,and anytime i start on something the wife complains im making to much noise:laughing:

i

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark, What are you plannig to build or do in the shop?

i know i started working on a shop in my garage but have lost momentum,and anytime i start on something the wife complains im making to much noise:laughing:

i
It's a combination of hobby and work.

Hobby would be furniture, etc.

Work would be built-ins, custom trim, cabinets, etc.

The noise thing is a non-issue....hopefully....:laughing:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
It's a combination of hobby and work.

Hobby would be furniture, etc.

Work would be built-ins, custom trim, cabinets, etc.

The noise thing is a non-issue....hopefully....:laughing:

my garage is attached and well insulated as it was part of an addition i did 4 yrs ago, but when the compressor kicks on and the table saw is screaming and lights in the house are dimming all i hear is :censored::furious::censored: and aftr about 15 min in the shop im done,!

the only time i can enjoy the shop is during normal buisness hours, and thats when i feel like doing the least, since i know im not being compensated for my shop time!:laughing:

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I don't own any Grizzly woodworking tools, but I have a few metalworking tools from them that I am quite happy with. I don't know that I would choose them for heavy manufacturing, but for my race car building business they were the right tools at the right price.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Mark---I've got the 10" Grizzly cabinet saw with the long rails.

Very happy with the tool. Rock solid fence. I've added a huge outfeed table(4x7)

They have great customer service-parts for every thing--and a machine shop if you ever need it.
I had to have an arbor rebuilt. I called to see if my shipment arrived--They put me through to the mechanic--He already had it torn down! Better than new and back in a couple of days.

I think you would do well to buy any thing from them.---MIKE---

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mark---I've got the 10" Grizzly cabinet saw with the long rails.

Very happy with the tool. Rock solid fence. I've added a huge outfeed table(4x7)

They have great customer service-parts for every thing--and a machine shop if you ever need it.
I had to have an arbor rebuilt. I called to see if my shipment arrived--They put me through to the mechanic--He already had it torn down! Better than new and back in a couple of days.

I think you would do well to buy any thing from them.---MIKE---

I aggree, great customer service:thumbsup:. I have an 18" drill press, 8" longbed joiner, 3 hp shapper & 3hp 10" cabinet saw. The joiner I used alittle before I had to store it & it had what I believe was a casting defect, I could never plane a board & get it square. After a couple of phone calls to cs & a few replacement parts it still wasn't right so they said if I could bring it back they repair or replace it while I wait. Road trip to Muncey Pa. for the wife & I, which was cool to check out their store, anyway they couldn't repair & they didn't have the same machine so they upgraded me to the next step up, so I am very happy with the overall experiance. The shaper I set up made a few cuts & stord it so I can't really say. The drill press had a vibration issue which 1 phone call to cs & they sent out a few new parts which did the trick! The table saw was for the company & is used primarily for cutting plastic coated form plywood to reface concrete forms & after 4 years the saw still performs well. For my home shop I ended up buying a Powermatic 66, made in USA, I just couldn't resist:thumbup:. All in all I would not hesitate to buy more Grizzly products, the price point is good & they have the best customer service out there. FWIW there are alot of great deals out there on used equipment.

·
Carpenter
514 Posts
Grizzley makes great stationary tools!

I had a 6" jointer. It worked like a charm but a bit loud due to the belt drive. (Probably needed adjustment)

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,779 Posts
I've got quite a few grizzly tools. 15" thickness planer I've had for nearly 10 years with no issues. 3 hp shaper. No issues. 24" dual head drum sander. Working through the issues, but am nearly at the end of them. 2 dust collectors. No issues. Can't remember which lathe, but it's a piece of crap. Lots of shaper cutters & router bits. No complaints on them.

IMO, they're a good stepping stone to higher end equipment if it's how you're going to make you livelyhood. At least that's my plan. Upgrade as I can afford to, but in the meantime, make money with them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts