Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Builder of Stuff
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank god it was just a grinder blade. I've seen people put wood cutting blades in grinders before. Today was a good reminder to never do that.

Cutting block, my 4" grinder bound up and kicked out of my hand. Somehow, the cord was still in my right hand. It swung down, still on, like a pendulum, and smacked me in the johnson.

Scary, but everything's still in order. :blink:

·
Super Moderator
10,604 Posts
I was on a missions trip years ago and witnessed a grinder accident. We were using an 8" grinder with no guard, and no on/off switch. The team leader had a kickback and it cut a half inch thick by 1" deep gash into his hand. It didn't bleed too bad because the grinder blade kind of seared its way through.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
griz said:
If you REALLY want to live on the edge, try one of these bad boys...
I bought some of those when I used to build log homes. We did a lot of coping with chainsaws, cutting log stairs/railing/rafters/etc, and I thought these looked like they might be handy.

Once I got them, they scared the crap out of me. I quickly determined that A: guard and handle would be in place on the grinder, B: that the user would use both hands on the grinder at all times ,no one handed operation, and C: that only myself or one other guy who I deemed to be sane enough to follow the rules could use it.

And yes, if the OP had one of them on the grinder when he dropped it, he'd be a she today...

·
Builder of Stuff
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I've seen some horror show pictures of the cutting blades for grinders... Including a cabinet guy who knew exactly what he was doing when he sent it through his hand. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I put 6" guards on my 4" grinders. I have worked for so many large construction companies that put a 6" blade on and remove the guard. Dumb. Even better yet is a 8" dioamond blade on 4" grinder. You can barley have room for your hand

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,242 Posts
I find that grinder are the most guardless tool:blink: I've been using a guard lately.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts