Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I have burnt up a few grinders some in as little as 10mins. They were dewalts best models too. I went for the 13amp Makita in 4.5" and so far its ground down about 2000sqft of concrete and no magic smoke yet. I am pretty hard on them and prob push down too hard but this Makita is going strong so far.

Makita 9564PC

·
Registered
13,936 Posts
My bosch 4.5" maybe 18 yrs old. I used to cut in lots reglet flashing in masonry when I roofed allot, also cut back stucco for windows & doors. I still use it for all kinds of stuff. Last week I put a sanding disk on it. Never had it serviced.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,916 Posts
From my research and experience while tuckpointing the brick walls of a factory, all of the electrics are basically the same, and succumb fairly quickly to dust in the guts.

Go with air if you really want one that will last.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think maybe you need to spend more on the wheels you use to grind and less on the actual tool. I have done several hundred windows with bascially the same 3 grinders over the last 5 years. They are Dewalt, Bosch and Makita. Basically I found trying to use one wheel for cutting through stucco, window flange material -usually aluminum- and some wood trim was not suited for one style of wheel.
I use a continuous diamond wheel to remove stucco. Switch to another grinder with a black abrasive cutoff wheel for the aluminum flange and lastly sometimes a cup grinder with diamond bits to flush cut the opening square.
I will list the wheel I use here:
cutoff wheel for metal flange - http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...D7DAC297BBC1A7A8DB479E50B511F&selectedIndex=1

continuous diamond wheel -
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...521CF953F8B1BE8F539856B87D20F&selectedIndex=6

Cup grinder-
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...0524A5A9B7A2B02A5CF1E43C4825&selectedIndex=45

I have had to learn the hard way that multiple grinders already set up are the quickest way to cut windows out...a good vacuum is helpful as well especially if you can hold it when you do the bulk of the cutting of the stucco..dust is the enemy.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Their all designed for a short life span........at some point..."early in the romance" they die ........:rolleyes:

Nothing out in the hand tool industry is being built that will last a lifetime......they don't want that.......$$$$$$$$$$$$

JMPOV ,

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
6 months from know some manufacturers is going to come out with the
Latest and greatest.......

Perfect example...

Bought the Milwalkie driver drill charger combo 2-1/2 years ago....now they have brushless....."fuel"..,,,,

Had my driver serviced 2 times ......service and reputation is write there IMO , ......but when it runs out of warranty,,,,,':rolleyes:....

You should see the piles of cordless tools where I do work for sometimes...box piled to the rim of a 4x4x4 cB heavy box of cordless tools.......;). It is mind blowing,......made me think....:rolleyes:

I don't mind spending coin for serious tooling......as long as it will get me through the warranty......:laughing:....:clap:

1,2,3? Years,.....:rolleyes:

And if you think your Festool's are going to last a lifetime....:rolleyes:..I want to party with you......:laughing:

JMPOV ,

·
Registered
71 Posts
For what it's worth.... I have a milwaukee (11 amp I believe) and I can't say I use it everyday but for odds and ends with tile and little masonry jobs I haven't had any issues...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Do you use the grinder without the shield? might just be getting too much crap in it

I've had a makita 4.5" grinder for 15+ years that has a little overload switch on the butt. When I hog on it too much, it trips. I use the piss out of it too. Not sure if that is still a feature on grinders... as I haven't had to buy one since.

I did get a dewalt grinder a few years back as a "freebie" for buying a bunch of wheels. It doesn't have the overload like the makita

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
I've always had really good luck with Milwaukee grinders. A couple years ago I went through a period where everything I was getting offered was tile work. I don't know how many pieces of backer board I cut with a Milwaukee 4 1/2" grinder and a diamond blade. Never phased it, that grinder is still on my tool trailer running like new and never cut anything but tile and concrete.

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Robinson1 said:
I've always had really good luck with Milwaukee grinders. A couple years ago I went through a period where everything I was getting offered was tile work. I don't know how many pieces of backer board I cut with a Milwaukee 4 1/2" grinder and a diamond blade. Never phased it, that grinder is still on my tool trailer running like new and never cut anything but tile and concrete.
I run a milwaukee as well, it's been really good to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts