Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all. Just a bit of background incase I ever ask a stupid question.
I was a lic'd GC in Calif for many years and believe I got 2 years expierence ten times over. Both homes and commercial projects are on flat concrete in 95% of the cases. I have never worked on a home that's ever been a few years older than me, so you guys that are dealing with them have my respect!!!
I don't do electrical, I use a union trained guys every time. Probaley cause my Dad was a fireman and I remember many a Christmas delayed as he was tied up at work due to a electrical fire. The past eight or so years have been goof off time, just doing a few sets of residential construction plans, but my new imported son in law wants to learn the trade, so I'm jumping in with both feet.
I get a lot from this site and frequently "ping" a good thread to the SIL, then we discuss it the next day.Though he's from Germany, he's turned into a *******, right down to the can of snooze in his back pocket. And he's fallen in love with our Second Amendment, shotgun rack in back window and all.
I'm in Oregon where the politicans are "confused" as to their responcibilities; they lay off State Troopers, shut down crime labs while hiring recreation directors for the state pen and create no show/no work jobs for "friends".
I did a stint as Chief Investigator for OCCB, but quit as the state would not spend the income on needed areas (they were 63 days behind in opening their mail, just to give you a hint)
I enjoy the biz, sometime the smell of fresh wood, new carpets, fresh paint gives me a rush (cause I know I'm getting another draw? LOL !)
The humor here is great, the information even better!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I've noticed that you have been active. Welcome to the board and keep up the good work. Most input is welcome, sounds like you could contribute plenty.
Don't overlook the sister site, http://www.diyrepair.com/forums/index.php? , they need help there too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
shop dust,
welcome glad to here that your jumping in feet first again,hopefully soon you'll be up to your knees in it.... sawdust that is.
Dan

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'preciate that. I've testified as an expert witness on "several" occasions about construction means, methods and costs. The one thing I wish I could get everyone to understand is when the stuff hits the fan, the attorney bringing the action will call in experts who know their subject matter like a wire through a bobcat (LOL!!! stole that one quick) so spend the time and money to do it right.
Fer instance, when I'm hanging a upper wall cabinet, if I don't get a good hit on two studs, somebody's going into the attic with a 2X6 while I feed a piece of all thread. Why?
Can the H.O. guarantee that Lulu and Junior Sample from the cast of He-haw will never come over and do chin ups on the uppers?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Welcome from Alaska.

Oregon is my old stomping grounds.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts