Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, John Vancamp here. I found my way to this site through another site I participate in. Short Bio
Degreed Geologist, 30 plus years as a masonry contractor, and included in that 30 years is 15 or so doing architectural carving in limestone and marble. I don't know much about a lot of things, but do know my field pretty well, and always willing to share what knowledge I have. Will try to familiarize my self with the forum rules before saying too much more.
JVC

·
Registered
269 Posts
Welcome John, I think you'll find this place friendly and full of info. Just jump right in the fray. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Welcome jvc. Ever run into a Geomorphologist named Georg? He was in the oilfield trade and a classmate at A&M.

·
Registered
81 Posts
welcome j-stone,
sounds like an interesting career path,I'd like to hear about some of the projects you've worked on. Are there any similaritys between carving limestone and carving aac?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the welcome. Teetorbilt, Don't recall meeting any Geomorphologists for a long time now. Are you refering to Texas A&M? Baylor alumni myself (go lady bears) Sawdusted, it has been an interesting journey, and I have gotten to ship my architectural carvings all over the place---3 containers of Texas limestone to Hawaii once.
Sorry, but I don't know what aac is ;)
JVC

·
Registered
81 Posts
Autoclaved Aerated Concrete,
looks to me a lot like a light weight limestone. Not much experience with it,... just a curious thought.
Dan

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Yeah, Texas. I just always wondered what happened to ol' Georg. Last that I heard was that he was in AK and developing a serious coke problem. Shame, one of the brightest guys that I ever knew, 3 doctorates all in different fields. We had a lot of good times together, including 2 Mardi Gras.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard of a few products that can be poured and then carved like stone, but have never worked with any. I'm surrounded by limestone here, and although it has been suggested that I start using styrofoam blocks, (easier to lift??) I'm kind of one dimensional in my choice of material. Natural stone all of the time.

Teetorbilt---sorry to hear of your friends problem, hope he managed to get past it. That stuff has been the downfall of many a ggod person. Had a bit of a run at it myself, many years ago.

JVC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts