Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Located in the Capital city (Lansing,) of Michigan, I'm a little insulated from the economic swings of our industry, but none-the-less things are at rock bottom prices. It's hard to just keep the crew going, thank god I have a good land bank of rental homes to keep us working.

My friends told me that rentals were just a head ache and to just concentrate on flipping, and I did for 20 years, but over the last 10 I have bought, fixed up, and rented. I currently own 33 properties, plus the one I live in. Two are in complete overhaul, offering us inside work on one, and just finishing up the exterior on the other as we approach our Christmas stand-down.

My body is getting to the point where I'm having trouble keeping up my speed (51), but my brain won't let me keep my hands off the material. As I think back, it's been my downfall from larger growth all along, but I'm just a hands on guy.

My experience is in all facets of Residential building, from new construction spec homes, (1 large 4400 sq ft custom home on Lake Sanford) and 15 years in flipping, holding and complete remodeling of older homes. I sub my own stuff very little, keeping a small crew busy year round, and run only retail jobs for others.

I currently work my garden (Lansing) and came to this site to learn how everyone is dealing with the lead base paint - (remodeling) requirements that are going to take effect in April 2010.

Look forward to hearing from you and sharing perspectives on a wide topic spectrum.

Mike

·
Registered
440 Posts
Welcome from south of ya

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forums Befreeliving, I'm in north Lansing, (towards Dewitt). Things are pretty tough around here, but there is a glimmer of hope with GM bringing in 400 workers from Tennessee for the Delta Plant. Maybe with that many new familys some of the current inventory will be bought and we can start moving forward again and not just taking steps backwards.

Joe..........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome comments...

thanks for the welcome messages.

Joe, most of my rentals are on the "North Side".... I bought my first one on "Ohio Ave" in 1996... since flipped it, but still have 3 on New York, 1 on Mass... and about 15 more on the "North Side"....

I don't know how to send private messages yet, but would like to hear your perspective on our area. Yes... to the GM Deal, we can use all the help we can get in this state.

To all the rest, thanks for taking the time to say hello. I'm currently in Sunny Florida, but the 2 week break ends tomorrow! I will head home on the 1st. to be ready for work on the 4th.

Best of Luck in the New Year to all!

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts