Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone explain why or more so what ingredients makes a reaction happen with green acid stains + water based expoxy that makes the coating turn blue??

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
Your question makes no sense! Can you try again?

Are you trying to acid stain a water based epoxy coating or what? (Can't be done by the way.):)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure, but most water based epoxies are no good.

What type of stain did you use? I have done LM scofield's Fern Green and sealed it with General Polymers 3461 clear epoxy sealer and never had any problems

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ha,... that's a funny thing. the first time i ran into this problem was fern green + 3461 on a cafe floor about 3 years ago. we used padre brown, terra cotta, + water downed dark walnut for the mass of the floor + fern green on the "vine + leaves" part of the floor. cleaned residue all the same + the heavier the sealer was on the green, the more blue it got. thurs night we used the 3461 on top of weathered bronze w/ brickforms jade dusted over the top. friday the same thing. where it was brushed on around the edges was cool, + the rest was more blue the heavier it was on. we are applying well under the suggested coverage rate so that cant be it. to fix the cafe floor, we had to razor blade off the expoxy, applied 2 coats of a straight h20 acrylic sealer, then went over it with 3461 + it was good.
i had done a search on the subject + found a few that say not to use h20 epoxies with blue + green stains.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thats funny. I did a big building out here, however, we ground the concrete first and then stained with the Fern Green, then 2 coats of the 3461. We find that when the 3461 is applied too thick, it whitens or if there is moisture in the cracks.

Have you talked to a scofield rep or SW rep?

·
Proprietor
1,847 Posts
can someone explain why or more so what ingredients makes a reaction happen with green acid stains + water based expoxy that makes the coating turn blue??
This process occurs when oxygen and water touch copper. Some call it "petina". It can be cured with a cleaning detergent called "Bar Keepers Friend". They have a main office at 1200 Waterway Boulevard, Indianapolis, IN 46202

Rather than ask me lame questions, call 1-800-433-5818

Curious about the root of this question posted in flooring section. Did you demo a shower receptacle and find a traditional plumber's pre-slope?

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had asked a friend and he pretty much said the same in less words,....

"Green Acid stain.... the MSDS lists cupric nitrate, and other cupric's. Which means copper. A good patina on copper or brass has greens, and greenish blues.

The water in a water base might be reacting with the copper patina."
thanks for the info + company info!

pcs, exactly what we have too. ghostie where it is on "heavy" and in cracks. i'm officially done using the 3461. while waiting yesterday for sealer to dry, i checked out a house floor we finished last sunday. 1st coat went on perfect except 2 little white spots that screened out. 2nd coat... a week later have one area thats pretty white + a few random roller stop marks that are white. 1st coat we got about 250ish a gallon + 2nd coat was about 380sq a gallon. so we put it on way under the suggested and still whiteness.
the first time we used it the SW rep helped us mix + apply, after the problem on the cafe floor, he said we didnt remove residue. All other colors where fine, just not the sealer that was on top of the green.
we have a 15ksq floor to do towards the end of the month, which i was planning on using the 3461 as a primer sealer coat + 4408 for a top. after yesterday, i doubting that.
a sealer shouldnt be that damn touchy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, we were hit or miss with the 3461 too. We stopped using it on stains for basically the same reason. We used to spray a couple of coats of Cementone from Scofield and then seal it wih Aero Flor urethane from Dex o Tex. When it worked, it was beautiful. But sometimes it ended up peeling and on 15k you dont want your sealer to peel.

Select Seal W from Scofield I had some good results with. But it doesnt give you that nice sheen like a good 3461 job does

1 - 8 of 8 Posts