Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to the site, and I thought I would get my feet wet. I have been building in northern WI for 15 years and am planning on moving to Missouri. Just small crews but now mostly just a 2 man show. Everything from the dirt to the doorknobs. (except forced air heat, AC and carpet) I don't know if I qualify to be here...but thats what I do.

MO has no state codes that I can find. I as anyone moving into a new climate have questions. In my case frost wall construction, insect protection, R values, etc. So I was wondering if anyone on this site have transplanted to the "warmer" midwest from "northern" US or any where in that matter, and if so could they give me any pointers, or heads-up?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome s-licker,
My first suggestion is buy a black hat, blue shirt ,grow a beard (no stash) sell the truck buy a horse and cart change your name to elija and you'll never be out of work.
no seriously I live in northern ny , an hour from montreal and will be going to florida soon for a 12 week gig. the last time I was there was in 78,working on the docks in miami. I'm going to miss the mountains while i
'm there .
Dan

·
Registered
318 Posts
Humidity, humidity, humidity....

I lived in Springfield, MO for 5 years. It was the only place in the midwest where I left my air conditioned house, walked 50 feet to my car and by the time I sat down my shirt stuck to the car seat from the sweat....

BTW - there's a great scam...errrr I mean industry there in out-of-state RE investors. Farmers are selling owner-financed 5 acre parcels for $4,000 an acre (still easy to buy at $1500 an acre) to out of state investors who buy it site unseen. I love it when people assume farmers are dumb...lol. You could probably do well offering your services to develop these properties if you can reach the same out of state investors.

Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts