Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go by Kenvest and my name is Ken...

I'm 44 years old and I'm from Charlotte, NC. I'm engaged and hope to be married within the year (insert laughter here).

I worked for a custom home builder as a grunt while in High School and loved it. After graduating and buying the first of several 69 GTO's, I worked fulltime as a line technician at a local Pontiac dealership and studied mechanical engineering parttime at our local university. That lasted until my first day of quantum physics in my junior year.....

I worked on cars for a few more years until I got a call from a friend who traveled with a Disney Ice Show. They were looking for an electrician and I was working cheap and knew enough about what I was doing to get hired. It didn't take much to fool Mickey Mouse.

I traveled extensively overseas with the show and learned much about unions and how they do or don't operate - and alot about pretty skater girls too. I also learned many valuable lessons in appreciation for what we have here in the states as compared to the rest of the world.

After that, I returned home and got a job with a local concert promoter doing production work - meaning I ran errands and occasionlly worked a spot light or something. That eventually grew into an Operations position at a Southern California outdoor amphitheater with a capacity of 65,000.

Keeping a rock-n-roll facility repaired, well maintained and properly staffed was about more than I cared to deal with. I left that, came home and worked at a friends motorcycle delaership as a parts and service manager while I finished my degree in business.

I'm now in Real Estate, specializing in investment homes (read that as foreclosures) and supplement my income doing whatever pays until I get really good at the paper shuffling gig.

I do mostly home repair, easy additions, decks that sort of thing. And while I've never had any formal training at it, I've yet to have an unsatisifed customers.

I take pride in my work and enjoy working on houses alot more than I did cars. I hope to learn alot from this site and pass the knowledge on to my 3 god sons and several nephews.

Thanks for your time!!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Welcome, Ken. 2nd day with no rain here.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Welcome!

Waiting for snow.......

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Charlotte? I did a bowling alley down there in 85'. Do they still have that classy bar Gold Nugget........or Gold Rail?.....Gold something anyhow. The ladies there seemed to be rather warm......... they kept stripping.

Bob

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the warm welcome folks!!!!!

its been raining here for almost a week....after almost a month of sunshine!!!! I'm ready for a break....

the girly bars here change names about every 3 years or so for whatever reason but its still hot here!!!!!

thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts