Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to start experimenting with finishing little wood projects without pulling out the airless. Is there much of a difference between the siphon and the gravity feed? When, where, why, and which?

Thanks guys/gals!

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
Gravity feed is the only way to go.

Cup completely empties, can be cleaned disconnected from the air source, better line of sight to the cup.

I use the Fuji Q4 with the Xps gun.

Tom

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
tjbnwi said:
Gravity feed is the only way to go. Cup completely empties, can be cleaned disconnected from the air source, better line of sight to the cup. I use the Fuji Q4 with the Xps gun. Tom
I have the same setup, and use it with the 3M PPS system. Makes clean up even easier! I agree with using a gravity feed. I feel they are also more maneuverable. One thing I really like about the PPS system is that gun orientation no longer matters. You can spray upside down.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I have both types, I use the siphon gun more than the gravity gun. Don't need a stand to hold gun when filling, can set gun on table or bench without stand, can remove cup and cap it if needed, can fill 2 cups before starting if needed. If debris gets in the paint it does not clog like gravity gun does, siphon tube does not reach bottom of the cup. Gets in same spaces, same results both guns.
To me cup on the bottom feels a little more balanced and I don't feel like I am looking around the cup like when it is on the top.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Rustbucket.................. do you have the Accuspray(3m) setup with turbine? Or do you run a regulator with compressed air? I have a 3M (accuspray) 240 turbine with #10 siphon feed gun. Thought about getting the PPS cup but went with the standard aluminum cup. I love the siphon feed Accuspray gun. It has good output, and is highly adjustable with numerous different combinations of needle/nozzle and air cap combinations. I think the siphon feed is better balanced and hold a full quart. Not sure what the capacity of the gravity feed cups is, but to me would feel top heavy.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
dale rex said:
Rustbucket.................. do you have the Accuspray(3m) setup with turbine? Or do you run a regulator with compressed air? I have a 3M (accuspray) 240 turbine with #10 siphon feed gun. Thought about getting the PPS cup but went with the standard aluminum cup. I love the siphon feed Accuspray gun. It has good output, and is highly adjustable with numerous different combinations of needle/nozzle and air cap combinations. I think the siphon feed is better balanced and hold a full quart. Not sure what the capacity of the gravity feed cups is, but to me would feel top heavy.
I use the Fuji Q4 with XPS gun. It's really a nice setup. I really like the PPS system. You can change paint/stain really easily. Just remove the liner and cap it. Cleanup is about as easy as it gets. Pull the trigger and pour solvent in the inlet. The XPS gun you don't need a stand for. It has a fold out leg that keeps it level and steady. The capacity of mine is 28oz, but you can get other sizes.

I picked up the Mixing Mate paint lid from rockler, and it's awesome. I thin the paint right in the can, pop the lid on, and can stir and refill in seconds. Plus it keeps everything clean.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I've been using the Fuji siphon gun with PPS. I'd been thinking about getting a gravity feed gun, but with the PPS I don't really feel the need any more.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
You'd be surprised at how many 5's I've sprayed through a cheap gravity feed gun. Don't be afraid to add some solvent to get good flow.

I'm now using a titan440 with a 208 & 308 tip for bigger jobs, but a couple doors, or a little trim, we still break out the gravity hvlp.

I use pressure cup guns for small jobs of paint/primer. Large jobs I break out the graco airless.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tips and advice.

I bought a cheapo Cambell Hausfeld gravity feed to experiment with. If I like it I will get a better quality setup.

Honestly I wish it was quick and easy to break out the airless but cleanup is just too labor intensive for the little projects.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Thanks for the tips and advice.

I bought a cheapo Cambell Hausfeld gravity feed to experiment with. If I like it I will get a better quality setup.

Honestly I wish it was quick and easy to break out the airless but cleanup is just too labor intensive for the little projects.
100% agree on the cleanup with the airless. I figure it takes a gallon of thinner, if spraying laq, and half gallon of mineral spirits to clean/flush and store the line/s for next use. Strange, but I always flush/fill the system and hose for storage with mineral spirits. To start, run and clean the rig $75 in labor and solvents. Don't use it that frequently.

Campell Hausfeld gravity feed works just about as well as HP rig. A few more problems with air (for spraying) and/or air temp, over the HP rig. But for small projects very Ideal. Temps of 95+ spraying Lacquer, yes around here it has to be done LOL, Use a retarder for sure with the Siphon Gun...Would recommend generally to use it anyway with a siphon to spray lacquer. Helps overcome some of the over spray/buildup/melting in compared to a HP rig.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I was taught on a devilbiss siphon gun and that is what I bought for myself as well. Its all I know but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot better guns out there. It suits me fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts