Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a little off topic, but I figured you guys would know how.

I have a "WeedEater" Featherlight SST 25HO trimmer.

The thing won't run much faster than idle, even at full throttle. I replaced the fuel pickup/filter, the spark plug, and played with the carb settings, which got it to run a little better, but still won't run at full RPM.

I called the manufacturer, and they told me "Only an authorized service department can adjust it, because you need "A Special Tool" to adjust it".

So I'm like, uuuuuhhhhhh, you need a screwdriver to adjust it, all I need to know is how many turns to adjust each of the two screws.

I think you probably get the picture by now, so my question is; What are the correct carburator settings for a WeedEater?

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
just an idea

If you have used it quite a bit, it is possible that the exhaust screen is clogged.
If you can get it running, hold your hand a few inches away from where the exhaust comes out, and make sure it is coming out good. If it is not, you need to clean the screen. If it is blowing good, in my experience, it is less frustrating to just by a whole new carb, preset from the factory. Sorry if this doesn't help.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You need to locate the basic settings, it's been some time since I have done this. The basics remain the same. Rough set everything, usually about 1-1/4 turn out. Set the high speed (closest to the engine) first. Tweak it until the engine is screaming and then back it out just a bit (rich) to where the RPM's just start to drop off.
At idle do the same for the idle screw (nearest the air cleaner) although you may want to set this one a little leaner (clockwise). You also have to juggle the idle fuel screw with the idle adjusment screw which controls the butterfly valve (air intake).
This advice carries to most carburated small engines. Set the high speed first and then ********************er with the idle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It sounds like a metering problem.... many of the "Weed eaters" have 'reeds' in the carb body that allow the proper flow of fuel. They do get gunked up and stick. The ones I've dealt with (many moons ago) had three 'reeds' (spring like flaps) and it was a fairly regular disassemble and clean process after sitting all winter. Even sometimes during the summer, but they got a real work out.

LOL I take no responsibility, if you choose to take the carb apart and see for your self ;)

WDA

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing definately isn't breathing right.

I'll clean the exaust screen, and the carb.

Thanks for the tips guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts