Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a straight stairway coming off a deck a full 9 feet off the ground. Post at top, middle, bottom, Timbertech composite materials. The middle post interrupts the top cap on the railings so we need to add a continuous handrail of some kind. Homeowner hates the idea of putting screwholes into the brand new composite post sleeves because he wants to remove the handrail later.

Any ideas on how to satisfy the inspector?

·
General Contractor
8,049 Posts
I've got a straight stairway coming off a deck a full 9 feet off the ground. Post at top, middle, bottom, Timbertech composite materials. The middle post interrupts the top cap on the railings so we need to add a continuous handrail of some kind. Homeowner hates the idea of putting screwholes into the brand new composite post sleeves because he wants to remove the handrail later.

Any ideas on how to satisfy the inspector?
I'm not sure with TimberTech, but I know Trex and Azek makes ADA graspable railings and they match the color and don't look that bad.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,710 Posts
I know one inspector who says you don't need a graspable handrail if the stairs are not a principal means of egress from the residence. Just sayin'...

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
42,685 Posts
Tinstaafl said:
I know one inspector who says you don't need a graspable handrail if the stairs are not a principal means of egress from the residence. Just sayin'...
Try getting your inspection without first, then if he calls you on it then put them in. I use Trex railing with a post that interrupts the middle of the railing, although I know this is not to code it always gets passed. Also I had a state inspector on the phone for 45 minutes with his boss, about this same subject, he came back and said he would sign it because Trex has finger indents in the profile of the rails. So all depends on the rails and the inspector. I think I know more about the codes to my trade more then the inspectors, that always get the wheels turning when they shouldn't be.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
landings midway and bottom

bottom posts of each respective flight before bottom riser of each respective flight

no intermediate posts on flights

attach icc report to mitigate any local post spacing bs

compliant, no secondary rail, done

ps. fwiw, you can get tt rad undrilled rail packs in 10' lengths, which gives you some more options as far as material waste goes

·
General Contractor
8,049 Posts
Same here Tin, some towns want them and some don't... In general most inspectors will not ask for them unless there is more then 5 treads.

With that said, I did a few of them and they actually don't look that bad and HO left them on because they liked it.
I know they will bang you out for them, but then again, you spend this kind of money on the deck, what is another few hundred for the graspable railing...
After all it looks much better then attaching a temporary one and leaving holes when people remove them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Inspector had already been over to give the final inspection and called us on it. We were hoping it would pass, since I did one similar in the same township and it wasn't an issue there. The difference with this one, most likely, is that it is the rail style (Trex actually, not Timbertech like I mentioned earlier) with the composite 2x4 on top, so there really is no grippable area anywhere unless you have big hands.

I thought about trying to be cute and make up a cheap wood handrail with normal brackets (3 screws) to pass inspection. Then remove it later and cover the screw holes with a small oval decorative plaque - maybe with the homeowner's name engraved on it.

But the best bet is probably the ADA handrail. Those go on pretty quick, don't they?

Thanks everyone for the advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts