Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I built a 20' Outdoor Kitchen and we're ready for the granite. Picked out some pre-fabbed Chinese granite that's due to be installed on the 14th.

After talking to my neighbor who is also a GC, he told me that his friend with an outdoor kitchen watched the bottom half bullnose fall right off after about a year of being in the California weather.

My question is this. Is there a special epoxy that the granite guys I hired should be using in an outdoor situation?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I'd suspect some error - either something oily or otherwise wrong with the surfaces, or the joint was clamped too hard and glue-starved.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd suspect some error - either something oily or otherwise wrong with the surfaces, or the joint was clamped too hard and glue-starved.
Hi CarpenterSFO,
Thanks for responding. I understand what you're saying. It's highly possible that's what happened with that guy's granite.

Do they make a special glue for exterior use?

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Hi CarpenterSFO,
Thanks for responding. I understand what you're saying. It's highly possible that's what happened with that guy's granite.

Thanks,
I'm not aware of it if they do. Epoxy will degrade under UV, but I'd be surprised if it could get that far into a joint. In some other client I might worry about water getting in and some freeze/thaw cycle breaking the joint open. Most slab also sell materials and equipment for people who are going to fabricate counters themselves. Give a call to the folks who sold you the counters.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
On a whim, I looked up the polyester stone adhesives. Some of them specifically are limited to indoor uses. The reasons to use polyester are that it doesn't yellow, and that it's less expensive than the epoxies - that's probably a priority for the Chinese companies shipping pre-fabbed countertops. So it could be an issue. Give your local countertop shop a call.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Hi CarpenterSFO,

Thanks,
All the epoxy that I am aware of, and have seen used are suitable for indoor and outdoor use. But I understand that some may be entering the market which are more VOC friendly, but which may not be as good in fully wet locations.

But I've never seen a fabricator use anything but the stickiest, gnarliest epoxy out there because they don't want failures.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok Thanks all. I'll call them this morning to see what they use and if they'll warranty an outdoor install.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been trying to call the Granite Expo and they're answering machine has been full for 2 days.

Anybody else have any comments on this. Install is scheduled for Monday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts