Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
Does anybody know if it's possible to grandfather B1 license in California? If so, what are the requirements? I am having a hard time finding answers online.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Hello,
Does anybody know if it's possible to grandfather B12 license in California? If so, what are the requirements? I am having a hard time finding answers online.
Thank you
First off what is a B12 lic?

What do you mean by "Grandfather"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My father wants to retire and mentioned to me he would like to grandfather his license to me. All I could find is a "family weaver" Contractors License Law section 7065.1(b)

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,826 Posts
A simple phone call to the entity that issues the license is all it should take.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
My father wants to retire and mentioned to me he would like to grandfather his license to me. All I could find is a "family weaver" Contractors License Law section 7065.1(b)
:eek:

I don't know anything about California's license requirements but I have never heard of a license being transferable to another person.

As far as "grandfathering" goes that usually applies to jurisdictions that either did not have license requirements, or changed those requirements.

When Texas went to a statewide license, holders of a municipality's license were exempt, or grandfathered, from taking the state exam.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,977 Posts
Sorry, I should look at the whole category every once in a while....

Yes, the family waiver is for sole ownership licenses only. A family relative can obtain a waiver of the exams and take over the existing license if the sole owner is retiring or has passed away.

With the new cslb license application processing rules, the family waiver has become hard to get because you'll have to prove your experience as.... wait... I'm going to check with the cslb before I continue. This question has brought to light a very important issue that wasn't discussed at the recent cslb meeting regarding the new experience guidelines.

I'll get back to you.

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,977 Posts
I got verification. The family waiver can only be used if the experience was obtained while working for that license.

That would mean, for a B license, you would have to be an employee with pay stubs, tax returns, etc. And the license would have to have workers comp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I read over this post. If you don't mind I have an additional question. My husband would like to possibly take over his fathers c8 license. Is this only possible if he has been working directly for his father company? Or if he has been working for another company for a long period of time he has 15 years in experience. Is there anything he can do, we are not very clear on grandfathering or what other option he has. Is he just going to have to apply for his own license completely?

Thank You!

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,977 Posts
Hi,
I read over this post. If you don't mind I have an additional question. My husband would like to possibly take over his fathers c8 license. Is this only possible if he has been working directly for his father company? Or if he has been working for another company for a long period of time he has 15 years in experience. Is there anything he can do, we are not very clear on grandfathering or what other option he has. Is he just going to have to apply for his own license completely?

Thank You!
The experience would have to been obtain under the fathers license. If the father didn't have workers comp, then he wouldn't be able to show his experience under that license. Therefore, he would not qualify for the family waiver.

Law states: (b) The qualifying individual is an immediate member of the family of a licensee whose individual license was active and in good standing for five of the seven years immediately preceding the application for licensure, and the qualifying individual is able to show all of the following:
(1) The qualifying individual has been actively engaged in the licensee’s business for five of the seven years immediately preceding the application for licensure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
quick question for License Guru. I have my general electrical cert. my father is currently retired. is there any way to take over his c10 license?

·
Registered
2 Posts
he was, is the sole owner, it does carry workers comp. not too sure if i can show 4 yrs although i grew up in the trade working with him

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,977 Posts
B&P Code Section 7065 says:
(b) The qualifying individual is an immediate member of the family of a licensee whose individual license was active and in good standing of a licensee whose individual license was active and in good standing for five of the seven years immediately preceding the application for licensure, and the qualifying individual is able to show all of the following:
(1) The qualifying individual has been actively engaged in the licensee’s business for five of the seven years immediately preceding the application for licensure.
(2) The license is required to continue the existing family business in the event of the absence or death of the licensee.
This is for a waiver of the exams, but if you could show 4 yrs of qualifying experience you could take over the business by taking the exams.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts