Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's not the definition of grand fathered.

Sorry that question doesn't make any sense.

If your grand father was a great carpenter does that make his
son or grandson a great carpenter ???

·
PCI
General Contracting
683 Posts
I think thete is a Grandfather clause! It's in the blood line and heir section of the IRC. The license can skip a generation and the grandson/daughter can pick up where grand pappy left off.

The code is right next to IRC Grandmother clause that allows the family brothel to be passed on to the oldest female next of kin with no tax implications.

I'll get you the pages shortly.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I think thete is a Grandfather clause! It's in the blood line and heir section of the IRC. The license can skip a generation and the grandson/daughter can pick up where grand pappy left off.

The code is right next to IRC Grandmother clause that allows the family brothel to be passed on to the oldest female next of kin with no tax implications.

I'll get you the pages shortly.
I nominate this as post of the week.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Inner10 said:
PCI said:
I think thete is a Grandfather clause! It's in the blood line and heir section of the IRC. The license can skip a generation and the grandson/daughter can pick up where grand pappy left off. The code is right next to IRC Grandmother clause that allows the family brothel to be passed on to the oldest female next of kin with no tax implications. I'll get you the pages shortly.
I nominate this as post of the week.
Seconded.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
But on a serious note

No I don't believe you can adopt a license or be grandfathered, I believe there is a clause in the CSLB that allows you to complete a project if the license holder cannot due to death and things like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grand fatheringois simply a term used in banking and licenses when there is a family owned business or a father-son relationship if the son has adequate amount of years experience the license can sometimes be handed down to the son without the son having to take a test

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Grand fatheringois simply a term used in banking and licenses when there is a family owned business or a father-son relationship if the son has adequate amount of years experience the license can sometimes be handed down to the son without the son having to take a test
Yes!

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
if the son has adequate amount of years experience the license can sometimes be handed down to the son without the son having to take a test
Or if he buys, acquires,or inherits the entire business. You can't be "grandfathered" into any of the personal/trade related occupational licences but you can certainly assume ownership of the established business license.

·
School Director
64 Posts
I believe you are referring to a section of the California Contractors License Law and Reference book that allows close family members the ability to continue on with an existing license without testing. Here is an excerpt:
27. Are there any additional circumstances under which a
waiver of an examination may be requested?
Yes, at the Registrar’s discretion, an exam waiver
may be granted if the qualifying individual meets the following criteria:
The qualifying individual is a member of the immediate family of a
licensee whose individual license was active and in
good standing for five of the seven years immediately preceding the a
pplication. The qualifying individual must have been actively engag
ed in the licensee’s business for five (5) of the previous se
ven (7) years and be applying in the same classification, and the license must be required
in order to continue the operations of an existing family business in
the event of the absence or death of the licensee."

·
Calif Licensing Expert
1,977 Posts
You will need to submit an Application for Original Contractors License and include a request for the 7065.1 waiver.

If you are applying for one of the 8 "critical classifications" they will ask you to submit documentation that proves your experience under that license. If granddad was a sole owner and paid you under the table, the chances of you taking over the license will be slim to none.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts