Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I formed my business back in Jan of this year. I was mostly doing commercial punchlist work, it was and still is what keeps the work steady. When all else is slow, the commercial end of it is still going. This work is where the name of the company came from.

I have since started to pursue more of my "passion" which is Residential Finish Carpentry. I pick up these jobs here and there through word of mouth, but I haven't really put too much effort into securing more leads. I don't have a client base for the Finish work so I am looking into some advertising now that I have gotten settled in with the commercial work, I have enough steady cash flow to start spending money to make money.....

I am in the process of getting my truck cleaned up ( few small dents and dings) and lettered. A web site is currently in the works with my own URL. I was also thinking about making "Grand Opening" sale direct mail post cards. Somethat advertises X amount for up to Y amount of crown. B amount for a "formal" dining room with crown, chair rail and wall frames. Granted I will have to put some limitations on what a "avg room" is.

The goal is to get my name out there and form some clients to which I can at least reference back to. Has anyone tried this? Had any luck? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
178 Posts
How about seeing if you can host a party at one of your customer's home.

Pay for the catering , drinks , etc.

Do invites -

Show off your work.

Or Pay for a catered affair for 8 - 10 people for one of your customers - you are not there - just leave brochures and cards.

Let your client invite 4 or 5 couples over to see your work.

Terry

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Punch List;

Give me a call tomorrow. I would like to talk to Ya!

North Jersey Marble and Granite (Kurt)
Off topic guys, sorry...

Haas is just not a name i see alot, being it is my sir name i have to say hello... :clap:

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey Punch List;

Give me a call tomorrow. I would like to talk to Ya!

North Jersey Marble and Granite (Kurt)

I will give you a call tommorrow, the 19th. I just checked back in on this page today. You have a 638 number correct? High Bridge.... I quick google gave me that as your number.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Altho "Haas Builders" brings up a Glen Gardner address with a 537 number.

My number is in my Profile here, 908 246 3797...I will be in Hillsboro tommorrow doing some punchlist (whatelse) on a day care center trying to open. Just a bunch of rotted exterior trim I need to replace before the painter comes through.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here is the rough draft....
The website is in the works...

Before anyone starts in on me about how can I get away with the pricing like this...simple....four lengths of crown are only about $50 and should take no more then 2 hours to hang and prep for paint. Paint not included. If I get a few of these I can line them up for day of work. If not....well...then not...

Same with the "formal" dining room trim out. That can be done in under a day for $200 in material....again prepped but no paint. Its is Crown, chair and wall frames....with upgrades available. Size and number of corners in the room is limited and will be laid out in plain english on the web page.

I will prob stop advertising this just after thanksgiving....

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
Why not 16x16 you are buying the same amount of material? Limit your corners inside and out to 6 and you should be golden.

The wainscotting may be a little low at about 400. exactly what are you talking about? Raised Panel? simple box molding and chair.

Delete the prep, filling nail holes takes almost as much time as installing the crown etc

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Wains is nothing more then wall frames done with a base cap or panel mould. Nothing fancy.... I don't know why I didn't go with 16x16....something just kept telling me tha I would have to struggle with two less full lenght runs then...lol...that is still a think up in the air. Filling nail holes takes about 10 min in a room this size...if that...when all I have to fill is 16 and 18 awg holes....I use window glazing...rub it in, rub it off...ready for paint. The details page is being worked up right now. I did limit the corners to 6. Each addn'l corner is $29.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I put the ad up in my local township news letter. It came out 2 days ago. So far I have 5 jobs from it. One of them has morphed into a bookcase/mantel job, and two others have exceeded the sale limits on sizes and profiles, so there are upcharges, which means more profit... I have to say so far, its worked out well. I may pick an item like this ever few months and run in my local area. Working with in 5-10 miles of my own home is great...so much saved in gas LOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts