Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
digger
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever used one of the grade control systems on the market where you can check your own grade from inside the machine? I am very interested in trying this. Pretty expensive but would pay for itself very quickly.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have a Apache Bullseye 3+ that came with 4 magnetic mounts, that I bought off of Ebay. I only paid about $600 for it and the mounts, and it works great for the price and even if I paid full retail for a new one it would have been worth it.

I use 2 of the mounts with a chain link fence post on the dozer and the other 2 mounts with a short piece of chain link fence post on the excavator. The best thing about this is when you have to have a consistant slope like when cutting in a new road, etc. Just set the slope on the laser, figure out the height of blade at the starting point, adjust the bullseye on the pole, and the cut a perfect flat slope to the other end.

I had planned on welding on a permanent mount on the dozer with a removable pole when I first got it, but still haven't got around to it.

Here are some pics from the Apache website of the receiver, dozer blade mount, and excavator mount.

Attachments

·
digger
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought something like the Apache was what I really wanted for quite a while.... but now I've found something a little more. Since I'm new here I won't talk name yet until someone tells me it's ok. Here's how it works, sensors mag-mounted and calibrated to boom and stick send signal to monitor screen in cab where you can set your depth, set for filling, check grade, dig slopes, etc,etc. All of this can be done without getting out of the cab & no ground man. In fact, if you wanted to just dig something like a trench, you could basically do it without a laser- once you get down to depth, push the "zero bucket" on the screen, (all touch screen), and continue digging right on grade. When you move to reset, just reach back, set the bucket on the previous grade again, zero it, and keep digging again. It's pretty amazing! I want one pretty bad but it is a chunk of change to drop. There's no doubt how fast it would pay for itself if someone could go dig without the need for the groundman. Imagine digging a basement without having to keep going down there to check grade!:thumbsup:

·
digger
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oops!

Sorry for the long post. I should have looked into the link from tgeb. Someone in there touched on the system I'm talking about- only without the monitor to see what your bucket is doing. The monitor gives you all the info you could want including horizontal reach, depth, left to bottom, and more. If you are already to grade and now you want to lay 6" of bedding for pipe, just tell it and it will show right where to be for the 6" raise. I get a little carried away on this subject!:notworthy

·
Registered
3 Posts
KGMZ,

can you tell me how you get your dipper plum when using your bullseye receiver. I'm was thinking of buying the bulleye 6 because of the angle compensation of 30 deg +-. But it is an expensive purchase for this time of year and economy.

·
digger
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really??

I'm surprised.... I really thought you guys would find this pretty interesting. It seems like a great idea to me. Maybe there's something I don't see. Hasn't anyone here used something like this before?

·
Stud
605 Posts
Posted by hustler7
Really??
I'm surprised.... I really thought you guys would find this pretty interesting. It seems like a great idea to me. Maybe there's something I don't see. Hasn't anyone here used something like this before?
I find it interesting but don't know anyone who has one. What is the cost for this setup?

Either way I know I wouldn't be buying one for a while. Things are to slow for me to spend money on anything like this. Right now I'm interested in finding some owrk to keep me busy.

·
Contractor
7,728 Posts
Yes, I have a system on my excavator.

As I asked earlier what would you like to know?

From your earlier post, I get the idea you are looking at an older Ocala set up, is that correct.

It's OK for you to name products, the site rules prohibit advertising, as long as that is not where you're headed no problem putting names with products.

In fact I'll start, to my knowledge there are 4 makers of these type devices;
Topcon
Ocala
Leica
Trimble

There may be others, but those are the ones I am aware of, and I researched each of those.

·
Stud
605 Posts
tgeb

Do you have the type with the monitor in the cab?
I've seen price between $8500-$10000 on the web. Are those accurate?
How do you like it? Any negatives you've experienced from using it?
Thanks

·
digger
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been looking at the new Ocala with in-cab screen. Two models to choose from, one is called the "mini", good for up to 25' (max distance from bucket sensor to screen). Other model will handle any machine out there. 5k for small one installed. 8 1/2k for big one installed. Pretty big price tag but would pay for itself quickly and then start paying me!:thumbsup: Which one are you using on your excavator? Happy with it? Easy to work by yourself? Thanks for the replies!

·
digger
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The system that agl sells is the ez dig. Don't want to offend anyone but there's no comparison to the Ocala. Probably works fine but has too many wires and extra components and not as "wireless". Also not touch screen. Maybe it's alot cheaper though idk, that makes a difference.

·
digger
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let me rephrase what I said. The EZ Dig unit that I saw required 2 units to be in the cab and wires to run from one to the other. The Ocala only has 1 unit and no extra wires. Also completely portable from one machine to another. What I said was "not as" wireless because there is more wires involved with the EZ Dig. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts