Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here so be nice. I'm a home builder in PA and wanted to get some different opinions on a problem I'm running into. I have a lot that is a beautiful flat 3/4 acre. It has about an 10' climb from the front of the lot to about 100' back (which is flat considering the neighborhood). The lot is about 100' wide and 250' or so long. I want to build a nice 1700 sq ft cape cod on it and put a garage under it. I have to have the driveway at the front of the lot (there is a paved road in back too!), but I'm having issues designing the layout around the house. Of course I need the basement slab to be above the street level for drainage, but that means that I'm going to have a good portion of the basement out of the ground. I can dig the basement and driveway as deep as I need to, I just don't want the run off from the driveway coming back towards the house. Is there a building technique or system that I'm not aware of that addresses this?

What is a good "fall" for a driveway to safely channel water away from the house? (1 inch per...) Ideally I'd like to keep the house as close to the road as possible - 50 feet or so. At this rate to have a 50' drive way with 2' fall I'm looking at the basement only in the ground about 4 feet - at best. Any and all help is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
24,215 Posts
IMO, a common problem when folks want to build a home. A design is chosen and then "forced" on a piece of property.

Best to have a broad selection of design guidelines. After the property is acquired design a home that fits on what you bought. You may have to settle for an attached/detached garage in your case.

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
Where are you located at in PA, maybe I can "really" help you.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
2' rise in a 50' driveway seems to be a bit much unless "needed".
I would shoot grade to be about 6" total to TOS and maybe fill in a little around the house so that only 10" - 16" of foundation is showing.

·
Vagitarian
3,589 Posts
Here is a link with pictures of a rancher that I did a few years ago on a lot that was sloped. You will have the same thing with a cut in the back, but not as severe as mine.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f88/we-build-them-anywhere-40902/

BTW, why not do a bi-level, that way the foundation will not be as high in the back. Although, I am not sure what for market you are building in. A bi-leve might not fit into that market.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Kinda ironic, here i sit in NW PA with an acre lot that has imo 40+ feet of elevation from the road to the back of its 300' depth. I want a garage but would much rather have it attached as opposed to basement level which is my only option. Wanna trade lots?

·
operator
394 Posts
Rino,

Nice pics. I like the log cabin look that one has to it but there isnt much of a yard to it. I guess you will have that every now and again. Nice job on that one:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts