Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Graco X7 Airless Paint Sprayer. It's struggling to maintain a steady spray. Pressure seems to go down after holding down trigger for 3-5 seconds. Motor tries to keep on and constantly runs. Can't get work done efficiently. Help?

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Might make sure your filtering/straining your paint. If any type of debris gets up there it won't be able keep constant pressure.

Thickness of paint might be a problem for that small a sprayer. That is kind of an off the wall assessment but might do some good to thin it a little.

Those two tips should not cause it to not keep up. Possibly looking at a faulty unit if all is clean otherwise. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I have an X7. It's fairly underpowered. You have to thin your paint sufficiently, and you can't run a long hose - 25' max. That's my experience.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Something's up. a 515 isn't too big.

If you have it cranked all the way up, it will drop in pressure some after a couple seconds, from the pressure stored in the hose. But it should still be plenty to spray without tails.

How long is your extension cord? Try to keep it to 12 ga 50' or 14 ga 25'

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Make sure the pick up hose / tube screen isn't blocked or touching the bottom of the bucket, either of which will not allow enough paint to be sucked up into the pump and therefore starving it of paint.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My experience is that the X7 won't spray your basic pancake-batter big box paint without serious thinning.

Yea this high end exterior stuff from menards (grand distinction) is pretty thick. I did finish the job though. Paint in the bit though when I have to stop to let sprayer keep up.

Also, my tips are constantly clogging?!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Make sure the pick up hose / tube screen isn't blocked or touching the bottom of the bucket, either of which will not allow enough paint to be sucked up into the pump and therefore starving it of paint.
I used a 2 gallon bucket today causing hose to slightly bend being parallel with bucket, so tube screen is not being blocked

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Might make sure your filtering/straining your paint.
Also, my tips are constantly clogging?!
You might not think it matters but I even strain fresh paint. Your 515 should do ok with some debris but your smaller tips will not like the smallest of junk in there.

If you are in a dry sunny area make sure you cover your paint while spraying or the paint will start drying in the bucket. This in turn sends dried paint to your gun. Make sure your filters are nice and clean. Looking at the filter in the gun, you would think nothing could get past it, but as I mentioned, the smaller tips like extremely clean paint.

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
Easiest way to strain paint is to use a 5 gallon bucket screen. Just set the screen in the bucket then push it in place with the pickup tube. Any crap will be trapped between the screen and the bucket. Prior to placing the screen mix the paint with a propeller style mixer, makes a world of difference.

Take the unit back to Home Depot and get the X9 Magnum. It the HD equivalent to the 395. You'll get a better gun with the X9 also, not a good one, but better than the X7 gun.

Tom

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
Yup. You got clumpy paint. Switch brands. Although straining EVERY brand is highly recommended, you can get away without it.

Try pantyhose around the rock catcher.

Also, when pumping out of a fiver, use the hole in the lid. This will prevent skim on top.

I also have another rule of thumb: Don't use a freshly shaked 5 of paint. This is because the clumps are now floaties. Instead let it sit overnight so they can sink.

You get 48 hrs typically on a shake. So just pick it up a day prior. Anything after that use a stir stick. Again avoiding making sure the junk at the bottom doesnt float.

Never use the last inch or so in a 5 gal without straining.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts