Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
It's Not a Toomaa!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a used Ultra Max 695 off Craigslist for $200. Came w/ 50' of hose, but no gun.

I'm not a painter. I'm the first to admit it. However, I got a job painting the exterior of an old brick home in town. The money is good and she pays cash. I figured for the price of the sprayer, I can't lose. I'm planning on taking this down to M.A.B. paint to have it looked over before the job starts. Its in pretty rough looking shape to be honest, but it runs and pumps water through it w/ no problem.

I need a gun. I only paint occasionally, but w/ this new tool, I may start advertising a little more for exterior painting. I try to stay away from interior painting if I can get away w/ it.

What should I look for in a gun? What are the specs to keep an eye on? What is your personal preference and why? Also, Any tips about working off of an extension ladder w/ an airless?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

·
Registered
515 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend and how heavy duty you want it. Your best bet might be to ask the people at M.A.B. what they would suggest.

·
It's Not a Toomaa!!
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on. I can appreciate that. Being the internet purchaser that I am, I felt that I could get a pretty kick ass spray gun for $150 that would last. Also, I'd like one that rebuild kits are readily available for.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
I actually have been running a Spraytech gun, I have a new Graco Contractor 2 in my garage, but the Spraytech has been holding up fine for over 3 years and I just cant see getting the other gun dirty untill this one gives out. I do use Graco tips and guards though, I do not like the Spraytech tips at all they dont seat as well as the Graco Rac X tips do.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
you could buy a cheap gun at one of the big box stors for probably 60 or 70, if you are only spray exteriors it would be fine IMO. You are not gonna be pushing 5000 pounds of pressure spraying some aluminum siding so a small inexpensive gun would work. You can put any brand guard onto any gun, so that wouldnt be a problem, like I said Graco RacX tips are the best IMO.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I actually have been running a Spraytech gun, I have a new Graco Contractor 2 in my garage, but the Spraytech has been holding up fine for over 3 years and I just cant see getting the other gun dirty untill this one gives out. I do use Graco tips and guards though, I do not like the Spraytech tips at all they dont seat as well as the Graco Rac X tips do.
I did not care much for the contractor2 but the new contractor is sweet been using one for a year plus
Hey Workaholic, is this the gun you are referring to? Seems like the right price for sure.
That is basically the 4 finger version here is the 2 finger
http://store.spraymallstore.com/grcoiigunand.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts