Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have (or had) a graco mark IV, well it stoped working the other day, and after a cpl hours of messing with it I discovered that the chrome plateing inside the houseing (where the paint filter goes) was flaking off (in handfuls) well Graco says,, ahh,,, too bad your warranty is up, and drywall mud IS corrosive. After the company I bought it from, ALL-WALL, talked to em, they decided that maybe they WOULD take a look at it, so I sent it off to a graco approved pump repair in Wilmingtom,, I expect to hear back for them next week.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update!!!!!!

according to Graco and the pump repair place,,,,,,,,,, drum roll please,,,,,,

This pump can not handle drywall mud,,, its too corrosive and will destroy it!!!

Ta Da !!!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think the mark V is meant for spraying mud, btw what are you spraying? skim coat or texture?
according to graco they will do the same thing (4 & 5) they just reccomed the mark5 if your running more than one set of tools.

I used it for running the alpha-tech tools, spraying level 5 (mud) and spraying mud on the cieling for stomps (texture like crows foot)

I may have to make it into a flower planter for the front yard tho

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well the verdict is in,,,

the packings and the fluid section were worn out

Graco's response is,,,, "its out of warranty, don't call us"

The guy that fixed it says, it will not handle drywall mud, its too corrosive,after 200 buckets of mud it will need to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Repacking is just part of the job IMO. It's a 30 minute job if you are stoned. 15 minutes if you are sober.:laughing:
Graco and the repair guy say that 200 bucks of mud,, and you need to re-pack!!

Do you think thats fair for a pump sold for drywall mud, sepecifically for Alpha-techs? thats once a month.

You really think thats right?

I don't, considering my Ames-type tools will go a cpl thousand buckets before re-build

·
Butt Expert
278 Posts
If you run it dry a few times then maybe only 200 buckets. Next time you need to rebuild your pump just look up the diagram on the graco site and do it yourself and save $125.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so you didn't say how much to repair it is going to be. How much?
It came to 380.00 to change the packings and the fluid section (whatever that is), he sent back the old packings as he always sends the old stuff back, didn't send the fluid section (whatever that is) but he did charge to fix it.

Graco said they would pay to have it shipped to the pump guy(they didn't) and pay to have it torn down (they didn't), and if the metal was flaking (it was)they would replace that part (they didn't)

Graocs response has been,,,,,, silence

·
Registered
25 Posts
The fluid section is the cylinder of the pump. It is part # 205 in the attached drawing. Did they give a reason as to why they did not return the cylinder? At least then you would know for sure it needed to be replaced.

On another note, when you replace the packings in the future, use only the leather packings (#218, and #223). I have found the synthetic packings do not last very well with mud. Also you do not need to replace the balls and glands that come with the Repair kits. You can save some $$ and just get the packings and reuse the existing balls and glands. You may try to find bulk packing kits.

Just my $.02 in the beer fund.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The fluid section is the cylinder of the pump. It is part # 205 in the attached drawing. Did they give a reason as to why they did not return the cylinder? At least then you would know for sure it needed to be replaced.

On another note, when you replace the packings in the future, use only the leather packings (#218, and #223). I have found the synthetic packings do not last very well with mud. Also you do not need to replace the balls and glands that come with the Repair kits. You can save some $$ and just get the packings and reuse the existing balls and glands. You may try to find bulk packing kits.

Just my $.02 in the beer fund.

They didn't give a reason, I appreciate the schematic,I printed it out for future referance. where can i order this stuff from???

And, if its a penny for your thoughts and everyone puts in their two cents worth,,, Who keeps the change??

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well,, the priming cylinder is still flaking the chrome plating off (thats the part graco said they'd fix (they didn't) )

Graco won't talk to me,, they couldn't care less,,,, after all it IS out of warranty ya know!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts