Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Profit is not dirty.
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a bit of a problem, that is costing time and money.

We recently bought a RTX 1500 text sprayer, and we are coming from a hopper and compressor, but we still use on occasion were the job requires it.

So...is anyone else having problems with the material flow rate? The mud seems good, pancake batter, lots and lots of air, but no get up and go at the nozzle. We were spraying orange peel, med to light spray.
Before this machine would spray like hell.

We have approx 20 hrs on the machine, and in my opinion we are doing something out of sequence.

mud, yellow or taping mud.
air med to low pressure
Mud rate full open
tip size 10
hose length 75'

Ground level, works a bit better, 16' up problems.
So.. I am thinking the mud it a wee bit thick, should be using blue or finish mud, as it has no glue, gun may be dirty internally, and possible glue drying in hose as lack of movement in the material.

Any thoughts would be great,
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
I have two 1500's that I've been running since 2005.
As far as lot's of air in the material. I like to run the material back into the tub/hopper to try and get rid of any air that was trapped when pouring in the material.
I hardly ever have the material dial set to the all the way open position.

Sounds like the hose pump might be stretched out. I always try and prime the machine with warm water first. That way the pump stretches naturally and isn't forced to stretch cold, because it won't go back to it's original shape. I think the pump cost is less than $100 if that's the case.

I was told by Graco that if your spaying on a second floor the machine needs to be on the same floor for the texture to flow and spray consistently.

Lastly, when cleaning your gun, make sure the air lever is in the closed position so water doesn't get in the guns internals and rust out the springs inside. I always try and keep a gun rebuild kit and new pump hose in the van for these situations.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
You might try powdered texture mix. I have never had the pleasure of using one of those machines but can't imagine the mud your using would not work.

·
Profit is not dirty.
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea we are pushing it to the limit, with 75' of hose and up 16'... I think if we had thinned the mud down a wee bit more, it would have been better. pump easier, and more volume at the nozzle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts