Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased the tex finish to begin doing smaller jobs. I had never used one...only researched how to use. I did a trial and error run my back porch...knockdown style...not a complete failure, but definitely left me with a few questions. I used a bag of texture mix(Home Depot) for the job...it was somewhat "soupy" and when I sprayed up to the ceiling, it seem like there was not enough pressure to get it up there. Was this because the consistancy of the mix? I know that if it is too thick, it wont run through the system. I used the large tip and low air(for "knockdown")..played around with it for a good 1/2 hr. My concern is not knowing specifics factor - what to look for - I spent alot of money need to know if possibly the machine has a flaw, so I could return it - more than likely I am hoping that the flaw is with me the user, and this can be fixed with the right advice. I have only seen texturing done once....drywallers using a hopper to apply orange peel on one wall. The way that it seem to spray out of the unit was nothing like it sprayed when I did it....they had basically the same machine too. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
PT4PAINT said:
Just purchased the tex finish to begin doing smaller jobs. I had never used one...only researched how to use. I did a trial and error run my back porch...knockdown style...not a complete failure, but definitely left me with a few questions. I used a bag of texture mix(Home Depot) for the job...it was somewhat "soupy" and when I sprayed up to the ceiling, it seem like there was not enough pressure to get it up there. Was this because the consistancy of the mix? I know that if it is too thick, it wont run through the system. I used the large tip and low air(for "knockdown")..played around with it for a good 1/2 hr. My concern is not knowing specifics factor - what to look for - I spent alot of money need to know if possibly the machine has a flaw, so I could return it - more than likely I am hoping that the flaw is with me the user, and this can be fixed with the right advice. I have only seen texturing done once....drywallers using a hopper to apply orange peel on one wall. The way that it seem to spray out of the unit was nothing like it sprayed when I did it....they had basically the same machine too. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You ;)
there is a float ball that you should have that when the texture has the right consistency thast floats or sinks if it is made wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ppmc said:
there is a float ball that you should have that when the texture has the right consistency thast floats or sinks if it is made wrong.
Yeah, it definitely did not sit on top of the surface...it sunk.
What type of mud...texture do you use? Bag of texture or premixed mud...etc?

·
Developer
31 Posts
How happy have you guys been with the Texfinish? I'm new to the process, so forgive me...but when doing knockdown with this, is it spray and you're done, or do you have to go back and flatten it out?

Thanks.

·
Flat and Smooth
288 Posts
The float ball drops through the material when it is thin enough for the pump to work the material through it. At least that is what it is for on the GTX 2000 we just bought.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have used the Graco Magnum, the RTX 1000 and the RTX 1500. In my humble opinion the Magnum doesn't have the "balls" to do a good knockdown and the RTX 1000 is borderline for knockdown although I have accomplished it several times. The RTX 1500 has alot more pump power than the others.

Kim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts