Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Framing Contractor
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed 4 rolls of Grace Ice shield with rip cord yesterday to dry in an addition I framed for a GC, what a pain! My company specializes in framing however we take on 5-10 roofs per year, mostly on the houses and additions we frame, so I have lots of experience installing GAF, Certainteed, and IKO's ice and water shield products. The Grace we were using had the RipCord built in-what is this good for? Paper backing kept tearing when peeling it off, much prefer the plastic release on the cheaper products. Worst of all, the Grace seemed to want to curl back on itself at the edges where it has a sticky sealant, creating a bump on an otherwise flat roof. Won't be buying this stuff again, especially at nearly twice the cost!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Grace can be a real pain, but I haven't found another product as good. It sticks to itself like ----- to a wet blanket. Sucks when the sun is pounding on it. Way too expensive. For low risk roofs the cheaper stuff is great, but if you have problem areas and lower slopes, Id spend the extra. Cheap insurance paid for by the homeowner. The ripcord is handy for doing valleys at times, that's about all we use it for. Occasionally if the shingles wont be going on soon, we will grace from the top down using the rip cord to leave the paper on the lower half until the row below it goes on.

·
Framing Contractor
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Morning Wood said:
Thank god Grace has a ripcord or I wouldn't be able to use the stuff. Ripcord is great for flashing sidewalls.
Right, no doubt it needs to be split to install easier, but all other brands of regular IW come with a split plastic backing. Its just another step and waste of time in my opinion.

·
Registered
747 Posts
When its hot out Ill cut the live edge off. Grace in the summer usually leads to someone having a fit.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
We use Grace exclusively
Yes the ripcord is moronic
No---nothing else WORKS nearly as well as Grace

once you start using it exclusively----- you learn tricks to make working with it a lot easier

cost is not an issue

I actually spend a bit of time with prospective customers describing how much more difficult it is to work with---and WHY it's better than everything else---- it helps bring home the message that We will do all the PITA things to deliver the best possible job.
stephen

·
Registered
67 Posts
We only use grace ice and water shield. Once you get the hang of installing it, you can put it down really quickly without any wrinkles.
The extra cost of using it is well worth it. Explain to the homeowner why it is superior, and worth the extra cost.
Don't give up on the product after one time of installing it.
I am NOT a huge fan of their grace select line. It is way too thin in my opinion.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If we bid on a problem roof and the owner doesn't want to pay the extra for grace, I turn the job down. His savings is your problem once you do the job.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Yup great stuff I LOVE finding ways to spend more for a product were gonna shoot a few thousand nail holes through.

I understand you guys that need to leave stuff exposed for a while. Try out some of the titanium ice and water products

·
Registered
732 Posts
I agree, grace is the best product out there. If you can sell it,give the homeowner and sample of grace and a sample of weather watch or similar granulated product and ask them the tear it.

Walk around NYC and you will see grace bituthane the commercial version on just about every high rise job because it just plain works and last a long time. When I did my shed I used OC granulated cause it was a weekend and my supply house was closed. The granulated stuff was crap after it sat in the sun for a few minutes if you stepped on it you would skid and the granular surface would come off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts