Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I'm sure a external antenna helps but in parking lots like out hotel had her Nav didn't have a clue what was going on. As I pulled away my Nav on the truck knew my direction and the route to take without even having a signal. It must be something to do with that dead reckoning thing you said about.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,069 Posts
Some smartphones and/or apps don't actually do all the calculating by themselves. They need to contact a server for some of the number crunching. No cellular signal means no server.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Some smartphones and/or apps don't actually do all the calculating by themselves. They need to contact a server for some of the number crunching. No cellular signal means no server.
This is the problem I deal a lot of the time. No cellular service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not a GPS but possibly another gadget of interest since you mentioned speedometers..

You can get an adapter to plug your phone into your vehicle's ODB sensor with an app that will give you a whole dashboard's worth of information, plus pull engine codes, etc. They're relatively cheap too. Again, not really a GPS replacement but for the guys who would prefer to keep it to one device that does everything.. you could get an accurate speed directly from the engine's computer without having to worry about having a cell or gps signal.
If you are worried about battery life using your phone for all this stuff (speedo and GPS) just get a charger for your cig lighter as well and plug it in while you travel.

good luck

21 - 26 of 26 Posts