Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on a good GPS? I have a older Garmin 205 that I really like . Am needing a second one because wife always wants to use mine. Got a Garmin 52LM today , but it is going back don't like the screen or features on it. Just wanting something good that is not going to break the bank. Thanks

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Any thoughts on a good GPS? I have a older Garmin 205 that I really like . Am needing a second one because wife always wants to use mine. Got a Garmin 52LM today , but it is going back don't like the screen or features on it. Just wanting something good that is not going to break the bank. Thanks
I had a garmin. Liked it better then a Tom Tom. Now I just use my phone.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
go to the local pawn shop, i am on my third, first one cost a grand, fixed twice a buck ninty each time, these things are like phones life span 1 year if your lucky

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I never use my gps. My wife uses it a couple times a year cause she has a tracfone. I just use my phone. If you need to talk while driving just get a headset. Cheaper than a gps anyway.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I'm thinking about going back to an always-on GPS with voice commands and lifetime traffic because I drain my phone battery too quickly and it recharges too slowly during the day (Droid Razr Max HD). Even when I know where I'm going, if it helps me avoid daily bottlenecks, it's well worth it. And if they have one out there that alerts to upcoming traffic cameras, even better....I need to look into that.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
You didn't say how and where you want to use it.

I have built-in gps in the new car, it's really cool, still I prefer google maps on the smart phone. The google stuff stays up to date, at least a lot more than the fixed stuff. If you are in an urban area google maps even gives traffic information.

If the gps sucks the life out of the phone, get a car charger!

If you want the gps for off-road use then let us know how. We use a system on a tablet pc when flying in a hot-air balloon. We use another system on a pc (and ham radio) in the truck when chasing the balloon to monitor the location of the balloon.

If you are using it hiking and you hike with others that might get separated, use a garmin rhino.

The point is, how you will use it determines what you should get.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a couple of rigs that the speedo don't read right so like the speedo for them . Easier to look at that and maintan the correct speed too. Also like the trip log on them , helps to keep track of miles driven for a job. And don't they work better when you have poor cell service , which I have a lot of at time around here.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Integration with my calender and Google maps is why in use my phone. Not only does it allow me to just click the address of my appointment, it will also tell me when I should be leaving based on real time traffic conditions based on millions of other cell phones.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,471 Posts
I have an older Garmin, I like it. But because updates cost you money it is only as updated as the 1 free update I got which is a few years ago. Since roads don't change that often it's usually good. On those rare occasions it isn't I use the phone which is always up to date. But the phone GPS really burns up the battery and if you don't have a charger for the car it won't go the long haul.

I still like the Garmin better than my phone because I can stick it on my windshield next to my mirror.

Can't tell you what to buy though, haven't looked at a new one in quite some time.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an older Garmin, I like it. But because updates cost you money it is only as updated as the 1 free update I got which is a few years ago. Since roads don't change that often it's usually good. On those rare occasions it isn't I use the phone which is always up to date. But the phone GPS really burns up the battery and if you don't have a charger for the car it won't go the long haul.

I still like the Garmin better than my phone because I can stick it on my windshield next to my mirror.

Can't tell you what to buy though, haven't looked at a new one in quite some time.
Thing I am just going to get another older one from E-bay. Unless I can see and try out a newer one with just stick with the older ones.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,471 Posts
My battery is beyond dead. Pull the plug and it'll last 5 seconds. So I just keep it plugged in 24/7

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Thing I am just going to get another older one from E-bay. Unless I can see and try out a newer one with just stick with the older ones.
Amazon has Garmin GPS's at a nice price point. The things only last but so long anyways I'd probably go that route over used personally...

*edit* quite a few for around $100 with the lifetime maps updates.

·
Registered
13,187 Posts
I use my phone, my brother uses his WiFi + cellular iPad Air. he likes it better than any GPS he has owned.

Tom

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I was in DC last weekend and my wife wS using her phone as GPS as my truck Nav didn't have the full address of where we were going. What I didn't notice was when she lost signal from behind buildings my truck kept running. It must be connected to the trucks distance sensors and compass as it kept working.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,471 Posts
Some GPS units have what's called dead reckoning. It fakes it while there is loss of signal.

·
Registered
13,187 Posts
I was in DC last weekend and my wife wS using her phone as GPS as my truck Nav didn't have the full address of where we were going. What I didn't notice was when she lost signal from behind buildings my truck kept running. It must be connected to the trucks distance sensors and compass as it kept working.
Why should your truck shut off if her phone loses its signal?:whistling

Tom

1 - 20 of 26 Posts