Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone here has experience in the process of bidding government contracts (demolition, excavation, pipework, etc), and if they're worth perusing. I've found tons of websites that offer access to these types of bids for a monthly fee, but I'm curious if there's a better/more direct way to go about it.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Have bid & completed roofing air bases, federal court house jobs, prison jobs & others. No room for delays & there is no excuse for being late or not meeting deadlines for anybody. As soon as this happens for whatever reason bar none, your losing big money. They pretty much choose who is awarded & it takes a long time to get respect or notification on any government gig. I woul not even think about opening my wallet for dead end leads. Takes big cake & capitol just to break the ice. Not to mention all the other hoops & costs

Mike

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
I used to work for a company that was all they did, very detailed bids, don't miss anything and must meet deadlines and do every bit of paperwork required. Also have a lot of money in the bank, we sometimes did not get paid for 180 days. Other times they were the only company to offer to wait 180 days or longer until the next years budget came up.
Really not for the inexperienced. They used Dodge Reports and a few others

·
Registered
757 Posts
Have built many government projects. If you can stay busy and make enough money in private sector work, my advice is to steer clear of government work.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I did a lot of local, county, state projects.... some with fed funding. Always got paid in timely fashion if you have your paperwork in order and turned in on time.

Read the contracts, doesn't fit, don't bid

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Whatever you do do not bring a powder actuated nail gun into a federal building ,I learned that the hard way!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I mostly do municipal work. We mostly do Water, sewer, storm, etc. Bonding can be your largest hurdle. You need cash in the bank and have a history. Know how to deal with engineers, and the cities and towns. Know your spec book and plans forwards and backwards. Most I've waited for cash was probably 90 days. But if your doing a Davis - Bacon project that has a high pay scale that can hurt when your putting out 100k per month for payroll and then add materials on top of that. It is just a different animal. Not necessarily better or worse other than you know if your the low bidder on the job when the bids are read aloud publicly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts