Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used windows since it was text mode and the bigger/clunkier/hoggier it got, the worse it became. So a while ago I dropped them (and lost all that MS specific useless knowledge) and have been using open office.
I found out about it because there was a hospital using it.
Good, common sense stuff.

http://www.openoffice.org/why/index.html

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Windows is an OS, how does open office replace it?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
Mebbe he means he dumped Microsoft Office Suite.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,093 Posts
Libre Office is being actively developed based on the Open Office work, Open Office development is slowing, so I am switching in the next week or two to Libre Office from Open Office. I've used Open Office since it first came out.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Ubuntu and Libre Office here.

Reactions: m1911

·
Registered
664 Posts
Mac OSX is the bestest in the world :p

I have Open Office and it does what I need it to.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I've been using Google docs instead of office.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
No MS-DOS is an operating system, they're still figuring out windows. :laughing:
I hear the next version of Windows is code-names Seahawks.

They're hoping it works as well as the football team. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
932 Posts
My question is; if I download and create a doc with open office, then I send it someone, do they have to have open office in order to open the doc?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
My question is; if I download and create a doc with open office, then I send it someone, do they have to have open office in order to open the doc?
No, you have the choice to save the file in quite a few different formats. Including MS Word, of course.

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I've used Ubuntu since early 2005. I'll admit though I've fell victim to primarily using windows and my ipad due to limited time.

Google docs is great but it's no where near what open office or MS office offers in terms of data validation and so on.

I store everything in google drive. Google's version of dropbox.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,615 Posts

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
As someone mentioned, you can save it in a number of formats. You can also export to pdf which is what I recommend unless you are looking to collaborate. With a pdf most people can now sign documents on any touchscreen device which makes it great for my contracts and change orders.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
What about Open Office Spread Sheets, can they be read by MS Office Excel? How well does it work, if it does?

And ...waayyyyyytf out there- what about the Open Office Database app? Any experiences with that?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,615 Posts
No. You can save them in a format that Excel can read. But the native format from Open Office cannot be read by Excel.

You can save it in Excel's native format, XLS

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
No. You can save them in a format that Excel can read. But the native format from Open Office cannot be read by Excel.

You can save it in Excel's native format, XLS
Thanks Leo - Open office can open xls files then also?

Want to make sure before I go down that Rabbit hole of time.

Have MS Office and typically what I use. The right hand man does not, though I have Lotus123 licenses that we use when needed. But that's a real round about way to deal with spreadsheets. Lotus123 is morphing - dying in the forms we use it. Looking for a 'cost effective' office app/s that has a longer life going forward. So all on staff can use internally. We send out all information in PDF now for clients, bids and such.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,615 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts