11,706 Posts
Next up....
Gus sells a Suburban to Bill Ford! :laughing:

·
Pro,self employed28 years
13 Posts
Interesting thread

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say I found this thread very interesting. I've always done the 'stock' cabinet thing for most of the kitchens & baths I've done.

I'm just curious, not to sound ignorant, but is it really that much cheaper to build your own cabs as you guys discussed rather than ordering stock cabs? I've never thought of doing it that way but am curious to the advantages?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,742 Posts
Where did you get the idea it was cheaper to build your own cabinets. It cost more, sometimes double of what you can get a box cabinet for. Custom has a price tag and it can be a hefty one.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Got some more doors today. Door companies are in a small bidding war at the moment. I got these doors for just over $7 a square foot, total invoice $544. That even shocked me. Crazy

door2.jpeg

Door1.jpeg

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
There are 2 suppliers that are beating down my office door. Both are good.

These doors are from the smaller of the two, Dutchman Doors. They offered me a forever %10 discount with COD.

Leo, as far as the MDF goes, it's only pennies more to go with a maple natural plywood panel. But it's on a MDF core. I have it in my head that the MDF is the best choice for a painted door panel. It's flat and stable, holds paint really well. If I thought it would be a better product I would go a different way.

Can you convince me otherwise? I'd be alright with that.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Here was my last door order. 32 doors, all select cherry, 6 have lite openings for rain glass.
I get my doors from Walzcraft. Great selection and quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Ghost, I do like the sander. The tilting table is what sold me on it. I do a fair amount of wood caps on half wall that always seem to end at a column or wall with round corner bead.
I've had it for about 3 -4 yrs. with no troubles.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,742 Posts
There are 2 suppliers that are beating down my office door. Both are good.

These doors are from the smaller of the two, Dutchman Doors. They offered me a forever %10 discount with COD.

Leo, as far as the MDF goes, it's only pennies more to go with a maple natural plywood panel. But it's on a MDF core. I have it in my head that the MDF is the best choice for a painted door panel. It's flat and stable, holds paint really well. If I thought it would be a better product I would go a different way.

Can you convince me otherwise? I'd be alright with that.
It really depends on the look you are going for. If you are looking for a smoother glassy look it works. But usually if you use wood for the stiles and rails you can see a hint of grain. If you can see it in the frame of the door you should have it in the panels. My 2¢

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,581 Posts
This is all for you, Neo.

Took delivery of some doors today. Nothing real fancy, just paint grade shaker. Maple frames and a mdf panel. Drawer fronts are mostly 5 piece but one little vanity needed some small solid fronts.

56 parts in all. All the edges are broken and ready for paint.

Total cost = $1258.60

average part cost = $22.48

The parts were ordered one week ago today when we started the job. Cabinets are just about ready for doors.

I gotta go back to your original post and do some math:

Thats how we roll.

My gift to you Neo, and its not even Christmas.

Let the banter continue:laughing:

View attachment 22691

I gotta go back to your original post:

"5 piece door and drawer fronts... 56 parts..." thats only 11.2 doors/drawers. :whistling

Thanks Gus - never thought about having someone else make em! :thumbsup:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
It really depends on the look you are going for. If you are looking for a smoother glassy look it works. But usually if you use wood for the stiles and rails you can see a hint of grain. If you can see it in the frame of the door you should have it in the panels. My 2¢
Good point on the grain transfer through a real glassy automotive type finish.
Thats generally not what my clients are after. 9 times out of 10 we want a hint of brush stroke in the finish to give the cabinets a sense of age.

I used to use nothing but glued up panels, even for the flat panels, because I liked the hefty feel of the door. But the individual boards tend to telegraph through the paint as they tend to cup just enough to be seen through a paint job. Only took one call back like that to stay away from that.
Although I did have one lady insist on the real wood flat panels because she wanted that telegraphing look. Then I was nervous that the panels would stay too flat. Go figure.

I gotta go back to your original post:

"5 piece door and drawer fronts... 56 parts..." thats only 11.2 doors/drawers. :whistling
:thumbsup:
You are silly. One piece = 1 door or drawer front.:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,742 Posts
Most of my clients, given a choice will choose to have real wood over MDF. Usually they don't care about the cost difference. They want the look of real wood.

I don't like it because it is very hard on tools, and dusty. But then again, I do my own milling. (rib rib)

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Most of my clients, given a choice will choose to have real wood over MDF. Usually they don't care about the cost difference. They want the look of real wood.

I don't like it because it is very hard on tools, and dusty. But then again, I do my own milling. (rib rib)
I can sell people anything that I believe in. I run the menu on the choices and warn them about the possible pitt falls. When asked I tell them it is a good product and very economical, and has good value. That usually sells the door.
I need to sell to as many people as possible to feed this animal of mine. Not all of them are in a position to go all out either. When we are dealing with an entry level cabinet it is not even a selling point. Shaker door w/ maple frame and Mdf panel, overlayed on the frame, prefinished maple interiors, dovetailed prefinished pylwood drawers.

Good solid construction, excellent hardware. and it's all about speed without cutting corners. Just carve off all the bells and whistles.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,742 Posts
I don't sell economy cabinets. I can't even force myself to build them. To quality oriented, it is built into me.

I have tried to build low end and it always ends up to good. It's a curse.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I don't sell economy cabinets. I can't even force myself to build them. To quality oriented, it is built into me.

I have tried to build low end and it always ends up to good. It's a curse.
I'm not talking about "cheap", I'm talking about "economical".

There are no construction changes to the box itself. Just over lay the doors. And carve out any gingerbread details, keep the rollout trays to a minimum.

No significant material changes, just the plywood drawer box instead of solid wood.

No hardware changes at all.

Take away the things that slow you down and you you have a great product for less money.

Keep the shop busy, it's what I do. I can do it with a clean conscience too.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,742 Posts
Sounds like I struck a nerve. :whistling

I'll keep digging:w00t:

41 - 60 of 63 Posts