Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This got me to thinking........and perhaps this has been discussed at length her before......but do most of you order your doors BEFORE you build the boxes and face them......or do most of you wait til you get the faces on the cabinets before you order the doors??
Once I had my first software program up and working properly I started feeling confident enough to order the doors as soon as the drawings are approved.
Back when I was 2d pencil drawings and hand cut listing I waited until after the frames and boxes were built. There is too many ways to make a mistake with out the help of good software. IMO

Thats the part that has my attention:eek:
That is the part that makes it worth doing. IMO

I realise this is a clique type discussion among the elite...but indulge me please.
There is no elite here my friend.
Most of my posting here is to help those with interest take the plunge and give this stuff a try. This is not much different than any other carpentry task.
And outsourcing doors and drawer boxes can get you up and running without a lot of equipment.

No elitist attitude here. I want you to stay busy as much as possible. I think I can help is all.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
There is no elite here my friend.
I was just kidding Gus! I fortunately got paid more than 22 dollars a door to make mine..I think!

Sorry if I'm posting nonsense...I'm really bored not working!

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I was just kidding Gus! I fortunately got paid more than 22 dollars a door to make mine..I think!

Sorry if I'm posting nonsense...I'm really bored not working!
No worries at all. I figured if there was anyone afraid to ask a question because of some fictional class system they created, I could clear that up with my response.

I like to answer questions

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
so now I'm not "elite"? wtf?
At least it's not a long fall from that pedestal you climbed on.:laughing:

Back into the pack with us common folk where you belong

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I know you guys are just joking around and that is my favorite past time ,but....

6 years ago I was in a 2 car garage with a Unisaw and a chop saw.

My cnc is the result of focusing on what made sense to take on myself and let others do the things that don't.

It's true I like to show off that machine, I can't hide that.

But my inspiration to share my systems of doing things is to get those of you that are interested into a nice warm shop when it's not that outside. I have enjoyed this transition from framing and concrete.

All the equipment you see now has been paid for as we go. So yes it is a common man's router. They way I see it if you want one, you can have one too.

Outsourcing things played a big part in that router purchase.

·
Registered
234 Posts
:shutup: Awwww... shucks, Gus. Now I feel bad and have to say something nice.

You're right, of course, and I know that no one starts out where you are. Both the quality of your work and the way you go about doing it give me, and I'm sure a bunch of the others still plugging away in our barns at our "unisaws and chopsaws," something real to shoot for. So thanks for that...

And while I'm down here, your threads on the euro hinges are a must read for anyone who does this kind of work. :clap:

Now I just feel dirty...

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
:shutup: Awwww... shucks, Gus. Now I feel bad and have to say something nice.

You're right, of course, and I know that no one starts out where you are. Both the quality of your work and the way you go about doing it give me, and I'm sure a bunch of the others still plugging away in our barns at our "unisaws and chopsaws," something real to shoot for. So thanks for that...

And while I'm down here, your threads on the euro hinges are a must read for anyone who does this kind of work. :clap:

Now I just feel dirty...
Thanks for the kind words.

I tend to bring people to the gutter so it's not entirely your fault you are feeling a little dirty.

·
Registered
233 Posts
]
This is all for you, Neo.

Took delivery of some doors today. Nothing real fancy, just paint grade shaker. Maple frames and a mdf panel. Drawer fronts are mostly 5 piece but one little vanity needed some small solid fronts.

56 parts in all. All the edges are broken and ready for paint.

Total cost = $1258.60

average part cost = $22.48

The parts were ordered one week ago today when we started the job. Cabinets are just about ready for doors.

Thats how we roll.

My gift to you Neo, and its not even Christmas.

Let the banter continue:laughing:

View attachment 22691

Wow, looks like you got some serious square footage for under $1300, that is considering the frames are maple (hard maple maybe?), who's your door suppler? at those prices I doubt it's caldoor.

By the way, are you sure that wide door wont warp on you.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
]

Wow, looks like you got some serious square footage for under $1300, that is considering the frames are maple (hard maple maybe?), who's your door suppler? at those prices I doubt it's caldoor.

By the way, are you sure that wide door wont warp on you.
Yes they are hard maple, paint grade but still hard.
Doors are for Decore-Specialties. I am quite loyal to them and they have rewarded that with a continuous discount. But their prices are very competitive regardless.

The wide door is a paneled end for two cabinets making a peninsula. No warping when it's fastened to the boxes.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes they are hard maple, paint grade but still hard.
Doors are for Decore-Specialties. I am quite loyal to them and they have rewarded that with a continuous discount. But their prices are very competitive regardless.

The wide door is a paneled end for two cabinets making a peninsula. No warping when it's fastened to the boxes.

I almost used decore specialities once as required by the GC but the job never materialized :rolleyes:

So would Decore send me my first set of door in a silver plater if I told them Gus sent me?:whistling

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I almost used decore specialities once as required by the GC but the job never materialized :rolleyes:

So would Decore send me my first set of door in a silver plater if I told them Gus sent me?:whistling
You could try but you might wanna set your sights a little lower than silver. Maybe some free catalogs :laughing:

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,769 Posts
Ever used Waltzcraft Gus?

Was curious how their pricing compared. I've used them for years and have always liked their detailed catalog.

Not only for doors, but dovetail drawer boxes and face frames as well.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ever used Waltzcraft Gus?

Was curious how their pricing compared. I've used them for years and have always liked their detailed catalog.

Not only for doors, but dovetail drawer boxes and face frames as well.
I have not used them. Leo might like to give them a try seeings how he could get frames too. Doors drawers and frames all out of the back of one truck, he would just flip. :laughing:
If you are happy with them, stay with them. :thumbsup:

I figured you made your own doors
You talkin to me? I don't do anything according to some around here.:no:

Alright then, I keep supporting the local mom and pops for the time being :thumbsup:.
Good for you. If you have a source that works for you then you are all set. This thread was mostly to show how much work you can get done with a phone call and save money doing it. All with great quality.
Some guys here have never bought cabinet parts before and I like to shed light in those dark corners.

Plus I enjoy buggin the crap out of Leo.:laughing:

Reactions: ChrWright
21 - 40 of 63 Posts