Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was the large property sign 3'x3' my 1st sign too, left it at the client home and someone came buy and swiped it, and out of the 3 deck guys in the area i got a good feeling who did it.
im gonna guess its the contractor who bid 10K extra on the job and pissed i got it hahaha

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Hey, your website don't work?:001_huh:
Steve

This was the large property sign 3'x3' my 1st sign too, left it at the client home and someone came buy and swiped it, and out of the 3 deck guys in the area i got a good feeling who did it.
im gonna guess its the contractor who bid 10K extra on the job and pissed i got it hahaha

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10k over huh? Sounds like he needs a new calculator.
yea he quoted $80/sqft for ipe deck with rails :laughing::laughing::laughing: this guy just wants to retire early. (24K for 300 sqft 1 level 8 ' above ground) the highest material cost would be $7500, for most decking contractors $6500, thats 5/4x6 grooved on 2x10 frame. deck will take 4 days.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I also get a premium for building a deck 8' off the ground. The framing isn't really harder in fact it's sometimes easier, but everything will be seen and should be considered finish work.

You may not have left the full $10,000 on the table, but I think you may have left some.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
yea he quoted $80/sqft for ipe deck with rails :laughing::laughing::laughing: this guy just wants to retire early. (24K for 300 sqft 1 level 8 ' above ground) the highest material cost would be $7500, for most decking contractors $6500, thats 5/4x6 grooved on 2x10 frame. deck will take 4 days.

I hope that for the sake of your family or employees if you have them or ever will, or for anybody that relies on you providing for them financially, that at some point you learn how terribly embarassing those statements are for you to have made.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Am I reading this right? 24,000 for a 300 sg ft deck? $80 per sq ft?

·
Registered
6,858 Posts

Maybe some brute thought it was your brochure?? You might want to be careful how you approach him . . . :laughing:

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Gotta love it.

We so often sing two different songs.

If we got the job, the competitor was greedy and too high.

If we lost the bid, he was obviously a 'hack', working for poverty wages. :blink:

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Okay, I seen where the op did state the other guy bid at $80 per sq ft. Just kind of shocked me not being in that field and knowing nothing about ipe.

Did a little reading and can see how it would be expensive.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Gotta love it.

We so often sing two different songs.

If we got the job, the competitor was greedy and too high.

If we lost the bid, he was obviously a 'hack', working for poverty wages. :blink:
Heheh, I'm sure there is a lot of truth in that.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
It could have been a kid building a fort that took the sign.

Wait a minute, do kids still do that?

Can we just be happy that we got a job ?:whistling

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey im not pissed off that my sign got stolen, sure its $150, thank god he didn't take the frame as it took me a whole day to make it.

im just feeling like there was no reason to do it, as its immature.

here is somethings you have to know about Toronto/ southern ontario, when the economy went down. things are still going here (im talking high end stuff)

So if this guy wants to make another $10k in a week building a deck all the power to him, but people with that kind of money are not stupid

some of the other bidders came in at $8000:laughing::laughing: the home owner knew for sure they were gonna run with the deposit

people who over charge usually do 4-5 jobs a year and bum around all other times

i could understand if the guy was building it on a IPE frame or better yet steel frame, or even doing custom lattice work and so on

but its a simple rectangle, 2x10 PT hidden clip IPE deck with rails

i was done in 4 days with my carpenter who i paid $2400 to

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I want to do 4-5 of them and dick around the rest of the year.
That sounds way better then busting your ass all year long for less money.
you tell me. is $10k not good in 4 days?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I want to do 4-5 of them and dick around the rest of the year.
That sounds way better then busting your ass all year long for less money.
The problem with that is, if you ain't making it, you're spending it. I'm happy with middle ground.:laughing:

·
Don
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i dont know about you guys, but what i make yearly counts not, oh wow i made 20k in a week...........................oh crap no one els wants me, DAM and i spent the 20K already.........hmm oh well there is always ripping people signs out

1 - 20 of 50 Posts