Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Leo G said:
Did some looking around trying to find a tire that will do it all and last. I think I found it, Firestone Destination A/T. It has great reviews and seems to last a good long time. Some people are saying 60K miles which I find a little bit over the top. If I can get anywhere near 50K I'd be ecstatic. I got my last tires at a good price and you get what you pay for. After 2 years they were in need of replacement, I got another 3/4 year out of them and they were baloney skins. Scary driving in snow with them, stopping power was greatly decreased. So now that I've bought new tires I assume there will be no more snow.:clap:
We have had a good luck with these tires. We have them on several 3/4 ton 4x4's. Replaced them on one truck just a few months ago with 65,000 miles on them. That truck pulls a 26' loaded trailer everyday.

·
Registered
132 Posts
All City said:
We have had a good luck with these tires. We have them on several 3/4 ton 4x4's. Replaced them on one truck just a few months ago with 65,000 miles on them. That truck pulls a 26' loaded trailer everyday.
We paid about $800.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
You guys don't take advantage of the mileage warranties? I bought tires 3 years ago with a 60k warranty (cost $1,100 for all 4 on a 3/4 ton) and when they wore out in 36k miles last year I only paid $650 for all 4 because of the pro rate on the warranty.
Warranties typically don't cover commercial use. How did you get them honored?

·
Contractor
4,743 Posts
I use to sell tires at NTW in the 90's and the consensus was that Michelin's were the best (truck tire) that gave the smoothest ride. That was observed by spin balancing the tire and watching how smooth it spinned. When a tire has a 'bounce' while spinning, the installer could-if he chooses-break the tire down and rotate is slightly on the rim for a smoother installation. That wouldn't have been the typical balance job.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I bought new tires. I did this for two reasons. One, because my old tires were worn out.Two, to make it stop snowing this season. WTF, it snowed last night and they are calling for snow on Monday. This wasn't part of the deal :laughing:

Although it was just a squall that came through it left 1/2" on the ground. I drove around and tried to break free of the road and did it only once. Coming into the shop driveway I punched it and as it went from 1st to 2nd it broke free. After that I locked up the brakes and it came to a stop with little or no slipping.

Now that's what I'm talk'n bout.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Man, the best tire I've ever had are the tires that came stock from GM on my Chevy. They have 42,000 miles and I think I can get another 10,000 from them. They are Bridgestone Duravis

X2!
I got 70,000 out of the fronts and 60,000 out of the rear tires on my Chev.
I replaced with the same. But it hurts at $260 ea mount & balance.

BTW, my truck just clicked 90,000 and I only just now need brakes.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
X2!
I got 70,000 out of the fronts and 60,000 out of the rear tires on my Chev.
I replaced with the same. But it hurts at $260 ea mount & balance.

BTW, my truck just clicked 90,000 and I only just now need brakes.
Damn I wish mine were that cheap.

·
GC/carpenter
43,592 Posts
TimNJ said:
X2! I got 70,000 out of the fronts and 60,000 out of the rear tires on my Chev. I replaced with the same. But it hurts at $260 ea mount & balance. BTW, my truck just clicked 90,000 and I only just now need brakes.
Well you know you probably have a spare. So this way you can use it and only buy 3. Then use a worn one for your spare. But I'm going to buy the same tire as well.

·
GC/carpenter
43,592 Posts
TimNJ said:
X2! I got 70,000 out of the fronts and 60,000 out of the rear tires on my Chev. I replaced with the same. But it hurts at $260 ea mount & balance. BTW, my truck just clicked 90,000 and I only just now need brakes.
Tim, what year is your Chevy?

·
GC/carpenter
43,592 Posts
TimNJ said:
My 03 Chevy 2500 got 126,000 mile on the factory brakes. They still weren't worn completely, but had hairline fractures in the shoes, so I went ahead and replaced them.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
'09 2500 Ext cab 4x4 gasser.

I thought I could rotate the spare in but it turns out the spare is a 16 on steel rim :censored:and all my others are 17 on aluminum.

·
GC/carpenter
43,592 Posts
TimNJ said:
'09 2500 Ext cab 4x4 gasser. I thought I could rotate the spare in but it turns out the spare is a 16 on steel rim :censored:and all my others are 17 on aluminum.
Maybe I need to check mine!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Never used firestone/Bridgestone truck tires, but I promised to myself that I would never buy another one of there tires.

I've owned a few sets of them on a couple different cars and each and every set would begin to wear very uneven and cause a choppy ride after 15K miles or so. Various reviews say the same, it seemed that they faired better on heavier cars.

Hope they work out for you. Tires get expensive and I always regret buying the "good deal" a few months later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love michellins for all my vehicles. the best riding, longest lasting (most expensive) tires i have ever purchased.

I live in minnesota, and a dedicated set of snow tires is almost required.

Another thing is to lower the PSI in your tire- my
"new" van came with BFG's on it, and they did alright at 80 psi, but at 40 they were way better in the snow. - However the ride is a bit softer- and mushier on cornering, so care must be taken. Also I dont roll around with my GVWR maxed out on semi inflated tires.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
And yes, 5 years= one post. lol.....
Well.... at LEAST you finally found something that interested you enough to post! :whistling

As far as me, I'm still tooling around in my 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada. It doubles as my personal and work vehicle. I don't carry tools and stuff, or pull trailers like a lot of you guys, but I do have the back loaded down pretty heavily with window and other samples.

I'm on my fourth set of tires at 200K miles. First was the factory set (Michelin) which lasted almost 70K miles. Second set of Michelin went about 60K miles. I got talked into a set of Bridgestone Dueler HS (I believe).... and they were total junk. They lasted less than 40K miles and were pretty much done around 30K.

This set I went with something a cheaper (by a fair margin) in the General Grabber HTS. I'm about 40K miles in and so far, they are still in EXCELLENT condition. I've got at LEAST 20K miles left in them. The guy at Discount Tire was amazed the other day, just how good of shape they were in.

Of course, I'm pretty faithful at keeping them properly inflated along with balanced and rotated every 5K miles. I had ZERO issues this winter with all that snow and ice. They are great in wet weather and in dry.... very quiet and smooth. All in all, a really well balanced tire IMHO.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts