Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did some looking around trying to find a tire that will do it all and last. I think I found it, Firestone Destination A/T. It has great reviews and seems to last a good long time. Some people are saying 60K miles which I find a little bit over the top. If I can get anywhere near 50K I'd be ecstatic.

I got my last tires at a good price and you get what you pay for. After 2 years they were in need of replacement, I got another 3/4 year out of them and they were baloney skins. Scary driving in snow with them, stopping power was greatly decreased.

So now that I've bought new tires I assume there will be no more snow.:clap:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Leo G said:
Did some looking around trying to find a tire that will do it all and last. I think I found it, Firestone Destination A/T. It has great reviews and seems to last a good long time. Some people are saying 60K miles which I find a little bit over the top. If I can get anywhere near 50K I'd be ecstatic. I got my last tires at a good price and you get what you pay for. After 2 years they were in need of replacement, I got another 3/4 year out of them and they were baloney skins. Scary driving in snow with them, stopping power was greatly decreased. So now that I've bought new tires I assume there will be no more snow.:clap:

I can't keep a set of tires on my sprinter for more than 20-25k they just don't last, the first set lasted the longest till 60k every other set barely 25k

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I'm hoping Rusty

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
My last truck I always used Michelin tires got 100k out of two sets, traded with a set that had 65k miles and over 50% tread left. New truck came with goodyears, once they're smooth, back to Michelin LT2 I go....

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was also looking at BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain TA's. Had the same reviews and about the same ratings. Most were just a hair lower. But these got better ratings on mileage and were $20 cheaper. So better ratings, better mileage and a bit cheaper. Ended up paying just under $800 to get the tires, mounted, balanced and new valves. They even setup the tire sensors so I wouldn't have to.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My last truck I always used Michelin tires got 100k out of two sets, traded with a set that had 65k miles and over 50% tread left. New truck came with goodyears, once they're smooth, back to Michelin LT2 I go....
You don't have to deal with snow much. We need a 4 season tire and that means using a softer rubber for grip in the snow, ice and slush. Michelin's are only so so in the snow if you are going for the high mileage tire.

·
GC/carpenter
43,626 Posts
Man, the best tire I've ever had are the tires that came stock from GM on my Chevy. They have 42,000 miles and I think I can get another 10,000 from them. They are Bridgestone Duravis

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
53,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They had lack luster reviews on tire rack

·
GC/carpenter
43,626 Posts
Leo G said:
They had lack luster reviews on tire rack
Probably because of their price tag. I've been looking into my next tire and they were not just expensive they were among the highest price. Thing is I was going to use my spare and only have to spring for three of them.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
The Kelly Safaris have worked well for me. Great combination of good traction and great mileage. My wife had those Firestones on her Jeep a while back. Traction seemed good but she wore em out in less than 30k

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I'm always a little bit leery of the high mileage tires handling bad weather. The harder rubber usually makes for bad traction in the the wet. I'm pretty sure I just got a set of the Firestone Destination A/T's for my fronts. My garage said that they hoped I'd get over 30k with them.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
best tires I've ever owned and still do are the bfg at about 200 each but i have about 75k on them about just about 1/2 worn. Rotate every other oil change or 2x's year. I'm waiting for the tires on my sprinters to p/u a set bfg's. It'll look bad ass. also super quite.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I was also looking at BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain TA's. Had the same reviews and about the same ratings. Most were just a hair lower. But these got better ratings on mileage and were $20 cheaper. So better ratings, better mileage and a bit cheaper. Ended up paying just under $800 to get the tires, mounted, balanced and new valves. They even setup the tire sensors so I wouldn't have to.
i'll keep these in mind. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
GC/carpenter
43,626 Posts
CITY DECKS INC said:
best tires I've ever owned and still do are the bfg at about 200 each but i have about 75k on them about just about 1/2 worn. Rotate every other oil change or 2x's year. I'm waiting for the tires on my sprinters to p/u a set bfg's. It'll look bad ass. also super quite.
Aren't BFG's made by Michelin?

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,717 Posts
Man, I wish I could find one set of tire to fit all our needs. I run AT's in the summer & Mt's in the winter. Had to buy MT's this fall & will have to buy AT's about May. Glad I only have to drop that much coin every 3 years or so.

Love livin where I live, but the unpaved roads just won't allow for one set of tires year round.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I always buy Michelin, I'm rollin on LTX MS2s now.

Aren't BFG's made by Michelin?
Yep, as are uniroyal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts