Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

What percentage of your hired maggots ended up being full of crap.

• over 60%

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 30% to 60%

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 1% to 30%

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • none, everybody is perfect.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had hundreds of fellas asking for a job. Some can talk a good line of crap they even know some of the key words that make you think they might just know a little.

I try to base thier pay on what I think they know but often I'm disapointed.

I had a guy say to me "Sir I don't drink, I don't smoke and I'll be at work on time every day."

I looked at the maggots I had working for me playing pool in the shop.

Then I looked back to John and said "Well frankly John, I don't think your going to fit into the organization."

I hired him.

Bob

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Most of our installers are top notch, but there still is a couple we need to work on.

Attitude is everything in my book.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Our selection process is quite good, the weak link is the quality of the applicants.

I require a formal job application from everyone. Prospective applicants are screened and interviewed against written job descriptions and/or duty lists. If they pass this they are interviewed by a crew supervisor. If the crew supervisor feels the applicant is worthy, has a positive attitude, and can fit in with his crew, then we set up a 1 to 2 hour "hands on test" of the basics. This weeds the bullsh!t out in a hurry.
Florcraft makes an excellent point about maintaining attitude and enthusiasm on older employees. Sometimes this is hard to do on repetitive work, but it's a fair challenge to management.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts