Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Got a weird call today....

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  skyhook 
#1 ·
On my way home today after booking a nice repair project I got a weird call.

The caller, with an eastern european accent, wanted to know what we charged per square foot for tuck pointing work.

Me: We don't charge by the square foot. What is it that you need tuck pointed?

caller: I have a house that needs some spot tuck pointing, about 2300 square feet. I need to know what you charge per square ft.

me: Sir, we charge by the job, not per square ft. We give free estimates. I'd be happy to come and take a look at your project & give you an estimate. Where is the project located?

caller: Look, I'm a bricklayer contractor & know how things work. You already know what your basic costs are for this type of work. What's a ballpark price for tuck pointing 2300 sq ft?

me: You're a contractor & you know how things work??? Really?? Then why are you on my phone???

caller: click:cry:

Has this happened to any of you guys?

See less See more
#4 ·
I have had builders ask me to commit to a square foot number for framing.:rolleyes:
I tell them my price ranges from $5 to $35 per sq. ft. and if your project is more involved than the $35 sq. ft. job, the cost will be higher. I'll be happy to look at the plan and iron out a solid number for you.
They usually say "well, what's your average for x y z?"
My reply, "somewhere in between."
There are too many variables in what I do to offer tract home pricing. Custom framing comes with custom pricing. I can't compete with tract home framers, nor do I want to.

#6 ·
Yea,
One thread I was reading about CR prompted me to explore my area listings.
Someone wanting Vinyl siding and gutters installed.
He stated the amount of squares on the house,asking for costs.
Just in case he was a new "contractor" looking for the going rate,I gave him a couple price with a $5000 range between them,depending on accessories and other variables.
Told him I'd have to see it and talk specifics before any actual costs could be quoted.

I have never responded to any of these ads,but out of curiosity,I wrote back.
Never know,it sounded legit,but there wasn't enough info to zero in a bid.

In his request he stated,bidders must be licensed and insured,so maybe he isn't one of the "noted" CR bargain hunters,and wants a good job done legally!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.