Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would have never thought this guy (87yo) would give a tip...He is one of the most frugal persons I have ever met. He turns the water pressure down in the house so his wife doesn't use to much of it. The temperature of the water, due to the heater being lowered is lukewarm at best. I saw him yesterday sweeping up the street dirt and sifting it so he can use it on ice and snow this winter. Well, yesterday I cut a tree down for him and told him it would be 900 dollars beforehand...(things are slow around here...need to put food on the table) He gave me the go and I carted everything away...when I got back, he had the check waiting for me, with a 100 dollar bonus...his wife smiled and said he really likes you and the work you do. :clap:

·
Registered
412 Posts
I got tipped early on in a job, and it sure made a difference in how you feel about a job and your energy level.:party:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,985 Posts
The only tip I've ever gotten is, "Don't eat yellow snow!" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Some guy put a bunch of old mattresses in my dumpster once. Is that a tip?

·
WICKED WOODCHUCKER
893 Posts
we did a roof last year. at the end th HO gave everyone on the crew an envelope. inside a 50 bill and a gift certificate to his restraraunt. He owed me 6,000 for final payment and gave me 6500. I was a little mad though, I didnt get a gift certificate. one of the best clients i have ever had

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Did you hear about the Mohel that didn't charge for circumcisions?

He only took tip's......

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
I would have never thought this guy (87yo) would give a tip...He is one of the most frugal persons I have ever met. He turns the water pressure down in the house so his wife doesn't use to much of it. The temperature of the water, due to the heater being lowered is lukewarm at best. I saw him yesterday sweeping up the street dirt and sifting it so he can use it on ice and snow this winter. Well, yesterday I cut a tree down for him and told him it would be 900 dollars beforehand...(things are slow around here...need to put food on the table) He gave me the go and I carted everything away...when I got back, he had the check waiting for me, with a 100 dollar bonus...his wife smiled and said he really likes you and the work you do. :clap:
was this in Arkansas? :eek:

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
ive been tipped 3 times in my 5 years in this industry other than the occasional coffee from homeowners.

first one gave me beer and a $20 gift certificate to the building supply, if memory serves correct it went to a new caulking gun. 2nd tip was a $50 gc to a resteraunt which she gave to everyone who worked on her house and then this spring a guy gave me $20 for deck i repaired

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
I used to have a time share/vacation rental complex I took care of. 200 units.

I don't think this would be considered tips, but I was always getting stuff from people when they were leaving when I was there working-beer, sodas, bottled water, food...Probably averaged $150/month in value. I sure miss that place.

·
Banned
538 Posts
awesome! there are those who still value our work and the beating we give our bodies to make their properties look nice. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I used to have a time share/vacation rental complex I took care of. 200 units.

I don't think this would be considered tips, but I was always getting stuff from people when they were leaving when I was there working-beer, sodas, bottled water, food...Probably averaged $150/month in value. I sure miss that place.
Anytime we have stayed in a rental house or something like that on vacation the house keepers, landscapers, caretaker etc... always make out. You can't take open booze bottles back on the plane for one thing.

I still remember when my buddy cracked a brand new bottle of booze about mid night before we were leaving the next day. He realized he just poured himself a $30 drink. :laughing:

In Mexico one time the caretaker was like a smiley Nazi, he smiled to us and was pleasant but he was like a hammer on the landscapers and maid staff. He was like a supply Sergeant, at the end of each weeks stay he would pillage all the left over stuff guests would leave. You just knew he was either selling the stuff or dolling it out like a Mafia Don to people.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts