Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just quickly laidout out on paint dont laugh. Just started stepin the shingles like this on small domers and stuff. i really like it because im not moving left to right as much saves your legs for sure. I know your not suppse to rack shingles but this isnt racking, it rakes once every 5 or six shingles and i really dont see that being a problem do you? Text Line Diagram Parallel

·
Registered
19 Posts
i thought that one of the reasons for not racking shingles was the lifting of the last shingle to place the next row under/ am i wrong? seems like it would be the same thing here, no?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
i thought that one of the reasons for not racking shingles was the lifting of the last shingle to place the next row under/ am i wrong? seems like it would be the same thing here, no?
Yes

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i always thought you dont rack because water can sneak its way in your seams. as far as lifting the shingle up, i am very observant of pulling out nails and i dont think its happened to me yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
dont think its the pulling nails part but the eventual curling of the lifted shingle thats an issue with racking. ive always used the old pyramid method with multiple guys and you dont have to move to much up on the roof.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh no ****, huh...... well i guess thats the first and last day i did that. only did it on one 3 square dormer. i really dont see the shingle warmping from that, you barely have to lift the shingle up. but in any case back to the same old, guess i shouldnt try to fix what isnt broken.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i really dont see it warping either but thats what i was always told. i know certain brands of shingles wont cover the racking method under warranty. always better to play safe

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Looks to me like a waste of the shingles you cut off.
Couldn't he re-use the cut off pieces and step them too?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Couldn't he re-use the cut off pieces and step them too?

???
That's what he should do, and it's what you are supposed to do. But the illustration here does not show that. It seems the whole idea he is getting at here is so he doesn't have to move as much side to side.

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
That's what he should do, and it's what you are supposed to do. But the illustration here does not show that. It seems the whole idea he is getting at here is so he doesn't have to move as much side to side.
That drawing runs into trouble when you have to pull back a shingle more than 12" to be able to slip the next one under.

The long shingle, provided that it's a full shingle, would just be floating,
or would have to be tacked in (and nailed high?).

He'd have to lift two shingles to get the shortest one in.

It's unworkable.

Probably way more time consuming too.

Besides, for dormers with straight rakes,
I just step them from the field "towards" the rake.

Way faster.

Then, the cutoffs, I use on the reverse side leaving minimal waste
(once I've stepped them from the other valley towards the opposite rake end).

But hey, that's just me!

:D

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yep, it's the same as racking......a waste of time and incorrect

I often start in the valley also and work out. very little waste.

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
Yep, it's the same as racking......a waste of time and incorrect

I often start in the valley also and work out. very little waste.
What color nails do you use?

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Just like has been stated, start steping in the valley, and work out to the rake edge.

Its really easy on something, as small as a dormer.
On larger roofs with longer valleys, you have to sometimes step back over once, and then start your step again to maintain your center up the valley.

Start using this method everyday just as I described it, you'll soon find you love it, and you will be starting, and shingling faster than ever.

No cutting, just lay full ones with your stagger, up the valley, and keep running out to the rake edge.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm right handed and normaly go from left to right running shingles but I'll run out of valleys in most cases. For example today on the 65sq 12/12 we finished I ran more squares to the left than to the right. With a tosser it's fairly quick to run either way.

Feel like a roofer again. Have worked all but 4-5 days in the past 30 days. Up on the roof with the rest of em... We had to do two huge 12/12's and the tear off for next week is a 50sq 8/12 10/12. The good news got a few cup cakers in a couple weeks.

Lifting laminate shingles is going to wear out your nails really fast. That is of course unless you wear gloves.

·
Roofing Sage
3,409 Posts
I'm right handed and normaly go from left to right running shingles but I'll run out of valleys in most cases. For example today on the 65sq 12/12 we finished I ran more squares to the left than to the right. With a tosser it's fairly quick to run either way.
Now, when you say "tosser", you don't mean it in the British sense, do you?

:laughing:

Feel like a roofer again. Have worked all but 4-5 days in the past 30 days. Up on the roof with the rest of em... We had to do two huge 12/12's and the tear off for next week is a 50sq 8/12 10/12. The good news got a few cup cakers in a couple weeks.
Know what you mean brother...same here.
:thumbsup:

Lifting laminate shingles is going to wear out your nails really fast. That is of course unless you wear gloves.
But of course!

Current pair...

Next pair...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well after pondering my new idea was pretty stupid eh? hey it happens :jester: im still up in the air on the whole racking and stacking. i do however rack the first 4 because it makes it easier nailing from behind the shingle i can just squat once and and do a row. then after that i stair the whole way up. i do see how racking is so much faster but i hear a lot of people sayng very bad things about it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now, when you say "tosser", you don't mean it in the British sense, do you?

:laughing:

Know what you mean brother...same here.
:thumbsup:

But of course!

Current pair...

Next pair...

do thoughs irongclads hold up i just by the cheap rubbery blue ones, they have good grip buy go to hell reall fast.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts