Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this afternoon a local contractor called me to ask me a few questions on pricing.it was on a job he offered me a couple months ago,and i told him if they could wait i could do the job.well they didnt wait and hired a crew of hispanic masons out of wichita ks.
the scope of the work was a wind break/privacy wall.35' long 8 foot at highest point stepping down to 5' high.laid in a radius.5 4 brick columns 8' high,and an outdoor fireplace.
the homeowner had paid them 3100.00 so far and they have asked for another 3700.00 to finish.he paid them,but the contractor,who is also mexican,told him that he was getting raped and to stop payment on the check,which he did.
they wanted 350 for each column(i get 125.00 for 1st 8' and 25 a foot after that)500.00 extra for the fireplace,which is reasonable.and i dont know how much for the radius.the contractor said the work was horrid and some if not most should come down.columns are 3/4 out of plumb and twisted.
the homeowner was my high school football coach so i feel bad,but people around here think they have to have it done now.had they waited they would have gotten a great job and a reasonable price.
just thought id share that with you all.

110 Posts
this afternoon a local contractor called me to ask me a few questions on pricing.it was on a job he offered me a couple months ago,and i told him if they could wait i could do the job.well they didnt wait and hired a crew of hispanic masons out of wichita ks.
the scope of the work was a wind break/privacy wall.35' long 8 foot at highest point stepping down to 5' high.laid in a radius.5 4 brick columns 8' high,and an outdoor fireplace.
the homeowner had paid them 3100.00 so far and they have asked for another 3700.00 to finish.he paid them,but the contractor,who is also mexican,told him that he was getting raped and to stop payment on the check,which he did.
they wanted 350 for each column(i get 125.00 for 1st 8' and 25 a foot after that)500.00 extra for the fireplace,which is reasonable.and i dont know how much for the radius.the contractor said the work was horrid and some if not most should come down.columns are 3/4 out of plumb and twisted.
the homeowner was my high school football coach so i feel bad,but people around here think they have to have it done now.had they waited they would have gotten a great job and a reasonable price.
just thought id share that with you all.

Yeah, thanks...but nthe problem is not "Hispanic masons" or "Wichita ,KS" or even "mexicans"....

The problem is "Hacks" prob unlicensed and uninsured, certainly unskilled.

Learn to tell the difference.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts