Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Master Blaster!
188 Posts
I have a Schmidt cyclone reclaim with dust collector. Steel grit is heavy and it has a hard time sucking it up from the floor 8 ft high to the top of the cyclone so we broom clean the booth then shovel the piles into a steel drum and forklift the drum to the top of the cyclone to vacumm in. We can get a full reclaim done in about 20 minutes.

·
Master Blaster!
188 Posts
shot and grit are very differnent in their blasting qualities, shot leaves a smooth non profiled peen finish and grit leaves an aggresive profile.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, just as an update, I turned this down. Right now, I'm just too small to make something like this profitable. Renting the compressor and fuel would've been the killer, plus I don't have my own building. I could've probably had access to a building and a forklift, but that would've also cost some rent. He was offering $225 and we figured the price would have to be right around $315 - $330 and then we would've at least tried the test blast, but he was not moving on the price. We figured up time, materials...everything at $225, we'd have been making around $13 on each trailer which isn't worth. That's about $1300 for 2-3 months of hard nasty work.

I called the guy and was very up front and pleasant with him and told him that at this point, I'm still starting up and just don't feel that I could meet his expectations at this time. I said I didn't feel the price would be mutually beneficial and that I didn't want to get in the middle of the project and determine then that we couldn't complete the work for him and cause him problems as well. I thanked him for contacting me and asked that he keep me in mind as our business grows and hopefully we could do business in the future. He was very pleasant.

Some of you guys might think I'm dumb for turning this down, but I'm small time right now and I'm pretty sure that if I had my own place and all my own equipment, something like this could turn out to be a nice winter money maker, but it just wasn't right for me. I've been in over my head before on just one trailer and it was a miserable sick feeling knowing I couldn't deliver for the customer what I promised and still make money. That was just ONE trailer and I didn't want to have that feeling for 2 months for 100 trailers and LOSE money on top of that.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
You know, I've turned down big boats. I'm small time too. It happens to all of us.
YOU CAN'T DO EVERY JOB!
Too bad you couldn’t have tried one just to see?

Take what you can get, to hell with the rest!

Sounds like you need to find a compressor at a good cost, keeps your eyes open... I found 2, 185 cfm at 500 each... they’re out there.

I have not had any work for over 2 months now… just small parts and what not’s

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Dyer, that is an awesome price on the compressor! Where did you look? Were they gas or diesel? Best I could find was around $3500ish for a diesel 185 in decent shape. I try to keep my eyes open, but over the last month or so, I've really been toying with the idea of getting out of blasting. I guess we'll see what happens.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I was only looking for one, at a Ingersol rand dealer ($8500) it was a 210cfm

On the way back I drive by a construction contractor that had all kinds of equipment for sale.

I stoped and ask if they had any old compressors.
When I asked how much the owner said 5 each, I thought 5000. nope 500. Had them in my yard that after noon.

Both are in the same, 185 -leroi 1970's, perkin diesels. I figured one was going to be for parts. they both run great! they had the wrong compressor oil so when they got hot the blew oil in the air lines.
both were well keeped, not good looking but work.

After filter changes, synthitic oil change and a few small bugs both are used all the time. whith out fail.

I later learned from a guy in there shop they was to be sold at 2500 each. (which is not a bad price either!)
the owner of the company screw up and sold them to cheep.
the forman was pissed!

I asked at a company that wasn't even advertising them.

stop in ask around, might find some work that way too.

·
Master Blaster!
188 Posts
I will blast or paint just about anything anytime anywhere. Id like to get into watertowers and send guys 200ft up but it does take time. You have another job from what I understand so jumping in with both feet is much harder to do. If this job were closer id be all over it like a fat kid on oreos. (i like oreos)

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
I turned down a big indoor job a few months ago. Blasting latex paint off of the inside of a old brick warehouse. It would have been a few weeks job. He found some other guy that was like me that jumped in with both feet, and was way over his head. It took the guy a month and he had to go rent a compressor as his was not large enough. The warehouse owner said that the blaster lost several hundred dollars on the job but was a good lesson learned for him. I have learned those lessons and will not make those mistakes again. Good decision you made there!!! I am sure next summer I will be buying a larger compressor. The 185 works ok but with more CFM I could be much more productive.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I'll take on the trailers if they want to bring them to me. I am a couple hour drive away. I would think they have someone closer but you can give him my number or I would call him. I would do the first one for the $225 no matter what and then I would say bring the rest or no thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Betterblast,

I did think about seeing if someone else on here might want the job, but he was hesitant to even offer it to me when I told him the address on the yellow pages and the location I'd be blasting were 11 miles apart. My home is about 3 miles from his place and where I'd have taken them to blast is about 8 miles the other direction and he thought that was pushing it as to how far he wanted to haul the stuff. I doubt whether he'd want to go out to you.

I'm at my regular job and it's dead here, so I've been browsing back through some older posts. I was off of here for about 2 months in a blasting funk. I didn't really want anything to do with it for a while, but I got back on. Congrats on the baby!

If you ever get a big job up this way (Chambersburg area) and need an extra body under a hood, let me know. I thought about just seeing if somewhere needed a guy to pull the trigger because lining up jobs, moving equipment around, finding the cheapest media, etc. is kind of a hassle, but I guess you don't make the decent money when all you want to do is pull the trigger.

If you are serious and would travel up this way to do it, I can give you his number, but if not, I can tell you he won't even talk to you if he knows you're in the Reading area.

·
Mobile Sandblasting
672 Posts
I would like a 375cfm but we will see. If I ever did sell mine It would be under $2000.00 but Im not ready to part with it yet. I just bought an old John Deere 1010 Bulldozer that I plan on restoring so money will be tight.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I've been looking on MachineryTrader.com and it seems like around 2500-2700 hours is when rental places start to get rid of stuff, but I think they still want too much.

This may be a pretty dumb question, but would a 375 be too much compressor for me with a 3.5 cu/ft pot? Would I have to change anything on my setup from what I have now for the 185 besides the nozzle?

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
The pot can take the extra cfms as long as you don't go over the max psi.You do have to have a bigger aftercooler and I think the moisture seperators as well. You could use the same air line and blast hose but I think you could up grade them too to get the most from the extra cfms. Could cost a bit to do it all The aftercooler that comes with surface tek isn't big enough for a 375. If you have to buy a new cooler I think it's a couple thousand. Best palce I found was ecompressedair.com They customize them to the temperature your compressor kicks out.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts