Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after kicking around selling my equipment, I got a call at work today from a guy who wants 100 military trailers blasted. They are govt. trailers. I asked if they have the CARC on them and he said they do. My dad knows where the place is located and has been in the trailer business for the last 6 or 7 years. He's going to drive by to see what they look like. If they're just a few pieces of channel, I'm good, but if there is a bunch of crossmembers, that's a different story. The guy told me $225 a piece which is $22,500 over about 2-3 months.

My concerns:

1. I don't have a building to do this in, so I'd have to rent/lease a place.
2. I don't have equipment to unload his trucks.
3. I'd have to rent a big compressor. I have 2 blast setups (pots, helmets, etc.)

These are just the things I've thought of in the last couple minutes as he called me about 10 minutes ago and I got right on here to get some ideas. Ultimately, I need to see what they look like before I make a final decision, but this could be potetntial for a lot of money. He did mention I could do a couple just to see if I want to keep doing them. I'm to call him back tonight or tomorrow by lunch at the latest as he's going to start getting the trailers early next week. I'm pretty confident I can line up 2 guys to do the blasting and work something out with my Dad to manage the project. The CARC thing scares me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chemical Agent Resistant Coating

Military grade stuff. Nasty from what little I know about it. Trying to find out more from painter123, but he doesn't accept PM's.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
$225 each sounds good, for them. you should only loose about $5,000 by the time your done and pay for two guys to do the blasting,renting a space that would actually allow blasting, renting a 400 cfm compressor, untold pounds of media can't be less than $100 worth each, fuel...

Take the test work before you let them force you to hurry with a quote. Get half up front.

Painter is a great help to everyone here. He prefers to answer you in post so we all bennifit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I make make sure to know EXACTLY what is on them They usually use pretty tough paint, Also what spec they want them blasted to. They are usually very specific with what they want. Hope it pans out for you!

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Other considerations. Lights or reflectors that my need to be removed or masked. Wheels that may need to be removed to get behind them well if they expect that or just masking them as well. exposed wiring to have to work around, Where you store each after to keep them out of the rain.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
They are military trailers, but this isn't govt. work. They're a metal shop that I believe may have gotten them through a govt. surplus auction or something like that. He said they have 2 other blasters doing 100 each and they wanted a 3rd blaster that was pretty close. I'm getting ready to call him in the next few minutes to get some pictures so I can see what I might be getting into. I won't do any until I at least see what I'm dealing with and THEN, I may take on the test work. My dad is currently unemployed and has offered to manage the project for me. I have a lot of confidence in him as far as getting things done. It's just making sure it's something that I can make decent money at. No use working all that time and only making $1000. Calling now for pictures...

**update***

Biggest one is 8 X 14 and the rest are smaller. He said they have generators sitting on them now, but they will not be on when I receive the trailer to be blasted. Maybe any of you guys who were in the military already know what these look like and can provide some advice.

I asked about what type of finish he wants and he just wants paint and rust off of them. There is a serial number plate that will be attached that he wants covered and a grommet in the frame for brake lines he'd like removed. Also, an air hose connection for brake lines he wants covered up, but that seems to be about it for masking. I'm going to drive by the army base today and take a look and maybe try to get some pictures without getting my camera seized :)

He understood about the holidays and people not getting back to me right away as he was having the same problem. I think I can line up a building with heat and a forklift for pretty cheap through a family friend, but it all hinges on looking at these things to see if they're even something I want to take on. Then, on top of that, he has to decide he still wants to deal with me over the other 2 guys he's in contact with. We'll see what happens, if it works out that I get it, great! If not, then it wasn't meant to be. Thanks everyone for your input and I'll try to get pics up when I can.

·
Contractor
4,737 Posts
I'm curious, are you doing the work or hiring guys to do the work? seems the more you do the more money in your pocket, sounds nice in these tough times. good luck on the lead-hope it pans out.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sorry that I have not replied. First time on in a couple. I think I did scan through on my blackberry while in the airport yesterday though, but I did not look at any of the post. I would be cautious if the customer is telling you how much you should charge first. Second, if you can do a couple to see what it would take then that is the way I would go first. See what it will take and go from there. $22,500 sounds great, but what if it cost you $30,000 to do them. Then that's not so great then. Don't look at the end dollar figure. Look at the cost per trailer and go from there. CARC really is no different coming off than any other epoxy coating. It just has special additives to make deconing easier is all. Use 90-100 psi at the nozzle and you should be fine. If you could use a 250 -375 CFM Air compressor that should be fine for the blasting that would be required as long as your only using 50' of blast hose and at least a number 6 nozzle. Sorry about the PM thing. I did not know that I was not accepting them. I will have to go into the user control panel and change that. I really did not know that. Thanks for letting me know. Have a Merry Christmas everyone!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do I know what psi I'm getting at the nozzle? Being a beginner, I've always just hooked up to a compressor and blasted. I know this is something that you pro guys roll your eyes at, but it has worked in the past and I've made some money doing it. I guess I never really measured anything like that.

The more I think about it, $225 per trailer isn't great. Hopefully, the pictures attach and you guys can give me your input. They will be stripped of lights, cables and accessories except for a couple grommits. My dad is pretty good at figuring up these types of things and he figured we'd come out to making about $26.75 per trailer...which isn't very good, I don't think. I think if I was a blaster by profession, who had my own compressor, this would be a nice project in the off season for some extra income. Right now, I have a full steady job and this is starting to seem like it may be too much of a hassle for such a small amount of income. Especially considering, I'd have to rent a compressor. That's probably going to be the main killer of my profits. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Well they don't look very big. But with out test blasting that could be beween 200 and 800 lbs. And the rent for the compressor will be based on how many you can get done in a day and so how long you will need to rent one and we don't know what your rental is per week. It's kind of hard to help on this one. You would have to rent a compressor even for a test blast so there goes more cash. For me I would want to come out with atleast $200. clear each. For material might be $40.00 to $90.00 so if I had to give one set price it might be closer to $300.00. Are they going to want the wheels done? A lot of times after you make a deal they say, yeah you might as well hit the wheels too. Or even the axel and under the fenders. Figure how many you can do per day comfortably and base your rental on that. Figure worst case media including fuel and add two hundred labor. See what that comes out to and if you do three or four a day you will make out better and they don't get a discount. I still wonder a little about the logistics of where you have to store them and how quick they pick them up when you are done because you can't store them out side and they can't transport them on an open rig if you start getting a lot of rain. It would be nice if you can prime them for extra cash as Jim mentioned and then they can sit out side too. $100. extra labor for primer. There is a very nice primer/topcoat from SEM called RustShield. One step you mix with a hardener 8 to 1. Has a 1000 hor salt test. Comes in a number of colors as well as a standard and a glossy black.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
There’s a RED/Brown oxy primer that can be welded on. The company can do the work on it and when they're done they can prime right over it and paint it any color they want.

I've had a body shop guy trying to get me to use this on my stuff. like I said, you can weld on this stuff and it seals the surface.
Maybe Benny knows the tech name for it.

I myself would like to know more to offer it as a service. it does have to be primed before painting over it.

If you have a pressure gauge on the blast pot and 50' or less of hose, the psi at the nozzle will be somewhat close enough.

They look as if they have non skid on top of the fenders, that comes off a little slower, (like undercoating)
they look in good shape, no rust.

I wouldn’t go under $300 each (not including grit or doing the wheels)
Test Blast one. Spend the money and try it. Even at a small loss. Then give a price. But not till you try one.
also, if they go with the price you give them, tell them that you have to do a set amount (like 5) at a time or something, that way they can't bring you one at a time.
If it goes good and you can figure out a price than it will pay back in the end.
Don’t guess at it , try it first!

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I was wondering about that non skid too. It's hard to blast and it's also hard to mask perfectly. either way is a bit of trouble.

Jim, find out the name of that coating. Might be good to have as an option. I guess it will hold rust back for a while and then you have to know if it is compatible with other primers. Did they say they had to weld those trailers after?

·
2,018 Posts
Glen,
he didn't say anything about welding; I was just assuming that if they just took off a generator, they might be modifying it for something else.
The paint would give Protection from flash rust and the workability for the customer till they could get it painted.

I think the paint (or something similar to it) is an Oil Based Alkyd-Red Oxide.

Here is a link, http://www.prattandlambert.com/pdf/product-data-sheets/4501.pdf

gran_national; it would be sweet if you had acess to a chain hoist to lift the front eye hook up in the air to get under it.

Could you rent a tent for a while to blast in? or if you got space somewhere, put up some plastic walls to catch the grit? can you blast at there site?

·
Mr Blaster
75 Posts
$300-$325 is a much better price. Nice comment about the non skid stuff too, that stuff burns off slow if your going to do a good job. Try pulling off as much or scrape off what you can to save yourself some sand, coal slag, or whatever. Are you doing the rims too? If so, I would try for additional $50 for the two of them. What about media clean up? For them, they are getting an awesome deal for the price. Unfortuanately you are giving them the job for zero. $200 for you, $30 compressor time, $10 fuel, $60 fluff factor. (cigar, lunch, cigar, travel time).

Mr Blaster

·
Master Blaster!
188 Posts
If your getting a building to blast these in then I would buy a ton of steel grit for 1,000 and reuse it over and over. I have bought just 2 tons of steel for our blast booth in over a year!! I would have spent over 23k on conventional media compared to about 2k using the steel grit. Steel is the gift that keeps on giving as the blasing guys say. It will clean and remove paint faster than any other media as well. run a 375 with good air line, 6 tip and decent lighting. Great project, if it were closer to me id take it if you pass on it.

·
Master Blaster!
188 Posts
what are you figuring on using for media? I could make out decent on these doing them at about 3 a peice. My set up is really made for these types of items. I think you could do well if you keep your rental charges down and use steel grit for blasting media. barter with the rental companies they will barter in return. I get great deals on rentals with my local guys when i need it. I also do a little work for them on refurb stuff when they need it so it goes hand in hand, develop a network and take this job, dont pass on it, I think you need to turn 4 or 5 of these a day to make it. 1,200 a day gross, go weekly or monthly on the rental for a break, figure 75 a day for rental, 100 a day for building rental and electricty, 55 a day for fuel, 25 or less a day media cost using steel, 100 a day labor, 100 a day misc. at the end of the day you spend about 450-500 and take home 700-800 bucks. figure 1,500 in additional equipment and maint cost over the period of the job and work that in to for a buffer. These numbers are all a guess but over time ive been able to make a damn good guess at things if you catch my drift.

·
Master Blaster!
188 Posts
it shouldn't take more than 2 hrs or so to clean those trailers using steel and proper equipment. 10 hr days would be needed to fill the 4-5 a day goal.

·
2,018 Posts
it shouldn't take more than 2 hrs or so to clean those trailers using steel and proper equipment. 10 hr days would be needed to fill the 4-5 a day goal.
I figured 2 to 2.5 hours each even with glass or black beauty.

I used steel shot at my old job (Navy Contractor) they had a 200 ton silo and used it over and over for the last 20 years.
(they opperate 24/7) they add a few drumbs 3 times a year. good stuff!
Blastpro, you must have a good vac? or do you recycle by hand per say.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts