Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I submitted a thread on a pressure washing website, but they were no help. You guys seem to be eager to have input and help. So here goes:

The LPGA is touring and one of the cities that is on the schedule is wanting an Interstate bridge cleaned. The span of the bridge is about 1000' give or take. Two bridges basically, four sides. Under the bridge is a 4 lane city street and there is a creek that runs parallel to the city street, hence the huge span of the bridges. No soap or detergents can be used because of the creek. However, they do not want any of the crap on the bridge reclaimed either. I guess it is ok for them have oil and tar in their creek. Kinda weird, I was told to just wash and let it fall. I was offered the bid on Friday and asked to have it completed on Monday. Um......ok..... The urgency is timing of the tournament, this project has to be completed by the end of August. I would not mind bidding on this, if anything for just practice and experience. But how in the hell am I going to go over the side of the bridge? Is there some type of lift? I don't think I can operate a skyjacker in a creek, or can I? This obviously needs to be bid out by the sq ft and peice. Peice because their are columns. I thought about using a sand blaster, but then I would have to clean up the 4 lane city street under the bridge. Not to mention the traffic would not appreciate having sand rain down on them. I do realize that this is overnight work, but there will still be some type of traffic. This is an interstate....LOL.

Well guys lets hear it, please give me some input.

Thanks,

John

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
how many guys would you run to get this done in under 3 weeks? I've seen bridge painters use scaffolding which hangs over the bridge.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how many guys would you run to get this done in under 3 weeks? I've seen bridge painters use scaffolding which hangs over the bridge.

I thought about maybe subbing other washing companies. The scaffolding is a great idea. I am thinking about using a soda wash instead of sandblasting. There is no graffiti on the bridges. But is is NASTY with road grime and crap. I figured I might just rent a couple more pressure washers. I am going to need cones and help with traffic safety. I may have to have at least 15 to 20 guys.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HOLY COW!!!!! That is COOL! Well that takes care of that part. I am having a helluva time measuring this damn thing....LOL I think I am going to guesstimate my measurements and bid accordingly. Thanks for that pic that is just awesome.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I am good. I am still fighting with myself. I know it is going to be very expensive to complete. Equipment rental, hired hands, workers comp, materials, safety precautions, hotels for everyone. I am figuring I have a 30k budget. Still looking for more input though guys. Really.

John

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I called the local, county and state municipalities today. I was told to go ahead with the project without reclamation. I was told no soap and no soda. They only want the top 4' feet of the face done. I am figuring on renting a truck with an, "autocrane". It will get me to the desired height and with someone driving the truck it can pull the washer and me at the same time. No need to get up and retool. Might work out ok. Lets hear what you guys have to say. I am all ears.

Thanks,

John

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

I think some one may be stretching the rules to get this job done. If you can do it and get paid well go for it. I am a bit worried about the run off though. If the state finds lead in the drain off you will be held responsible. I think you are alright though because they want the job done now and it sounds like your the one they want. I will give you a name of a company that will know the rules. Rainbow painting in the Twin Cities. They have helped me in the past. They do huge bridge projects. ps, I did not give you thier name we compete. good luck

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Keep in mind that you may be operating in a system that operates on giving the job onlyto the low bidder (the guy with the biggest mistake). It is common in many government/municipal projects and only something in the documents may swing to the person that has the confidence of the awarding authority.

It is not just simply of a question of production rates, hours and materials because what happens affects the public that uses the bridges.

We just had a bridge replacement contractor that was probably the high bidder. They ended up getting a $20,000,000 early completion bonus on a $300,000,000 design/build bridge. There was not a murmmmer from the press or public about the bonus that was based on 1/2 of the public economic cost and traffic delays. - Look at the bid proposal and see if there are reasons to justify the higher bidders from talking the job since they have a better proposal and not just a "bid". If you are going to shut down a part of a highway for access, it is more of a selling job, a good proposal and not just a "bid".

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, guys thanks so much for the input. I submitted a bid to them and they told me I was too high. Then asked me to re-bid and handed me back the bid. I handed it right back and told them that was the price. If they didn't like it they could find someone else. They told me I needed to be half of that do the job. CRAZY!!! I walked out. Good luck to whomever does that job. It is not a, "safe" job. I hope that they take everything into consideration.

I really do appreciate everyone helping me with this one.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts