Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally wanted one when I got my F150 lariat, but at the time it was a push for $$.

here I am over a year later, and now I'm thinkin that I don't really need one. I just got used to backing up really carefully.

I used to do this when I drove lumber trucks in my dads lumber yard when I was a kid, funny how that "sense" sorta comes back.

My wife refuses to drive the truck till I get a backup camera, thinking that's probably a good reason to not get one LOL

There are times when it gets a bit hairy though, usually when I have to drive into town (Vancouver) and find a parking space, which are small.

Do you use one?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had never driven a truck the size of my super crew without one so not really got a great comparison but what I will say is there ain't been one time when I ever had a problem getting into a very tight spot. Its also very nice for the trailer. Dead on every time.
Thanks for this comment! I've been on the fence about retrofitting my 2008 Silverado with one until this. Now I know I really need one.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
I don't have one and since I'm getting a bigger truck in a few years I haven't added one. But I sure do wish I had one when backing up to the trailer.

Then I want a wireless one on the trailer to a navigation screen so that when backing the trailer you can see behind it.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Its also very nice to scan for kids and after dark is nice. I probably won't have a truck without one again it is standard on the 2014 Tundras soon all will be, it is a very safe alternative especiially with kids and kid toys and pets.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I didn't have one on my old truck and have one in the new one I got a few months ago it definitely comes in handy. Hooking up to a trailer could not be easier also I live in a city and need to parallel park a full size truck in a compact size spot every night and for the sake of my neighbors bumpers it's great. I'm not really worried about scratching my pintle hook. I did always make do with the old truck but it is nice. I also still use the mirrors though.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I just put one on my truck for hooking up my trailer. Straight on its not a problem but the way I park at home I come at an angle and it takes me a few tries. I love it, wish I would have done it years ago. Bought it off amazon for $50 and hooked it up to my new head unit.

·
Banned
67 Posts
2 cameras

My 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Limited Diesel has 2 cameras, one on the tailgate for backing io to trailers and one high center mount on the top back if the cab so you can see everyone behind you and the cargo in your bed. The tailgate camera displays in the mirror and the high center mount camera displays in the UConnect screen.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
I went aftermarket with the pioneer ND-BC6,...integrated nicely with the AvicZ150BH multimedia navigation receiver.

Yes I use it, yes I love it, yes you should get one :laughing:

Attachments

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Don't have one.

I have a method for hooking trailers up. After unhooking I drop the tongue down to where the coupler barely bumps the ball. I just back up until I feel it scoot over the top of the ball. Doesn't sound like it would work. But once you get the hang its easy as pie. Can hook up 9 times out of 10 on the first try with no spotter.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Stunt Carpenter said:
Does anyone have a wireless one on their trailer? Nothing worse than backing into a drive way and realizing after your unhooked that you can't swing you door all the way open without hitting the garage.
When its tight like that I put out my wheel chock to where I want the trailer and hit that. Gets me dead on each time.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Does anyone have a wireless one on their trailer? Nothing worse than backing into a drive way and realizing after your unhooked that you can't swing you door all the way open without hitting the garage.
This is genius! I have no idea why this thought never entered my mind!

I've backed into a house and a parked car and still never even crossed my mind!

The house btw was in a 12 foot house to house driveway. Neighbor was a dick!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
My 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Limited Diesel has 2 cameras, one on the tailgate for backing io to trailers and one high center mount on the top back if the cab so you can see everyone behind you and the cargo in your bed. The tailgate camera displays in the mirror and the high center mount camera displays in the UConnect screen.
So are the seats the same on the Laramie and Laramie Longhorn just leather? No lot here has the longhorn.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts